• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tin Foil

snowangel

One side is shiny, one side not shiny.

Is there a rule of them, when using it for cooking or storing, as which side should be shiny side next to food, or not shiny side up next to food?

And, is there an easy to remember jingle (a la the jingle to remember which months have 30 days?) to help me remember which side up?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I recall hearing long ago (can't remember where) that the shiny side reflects more heat than the dull side. Thus, shiny side faces food when you want to concentrate heat; shiny side away when you want to deflect it.

There is no practical difference in the thermal reflective characteristics of either side of foil. On technical level there is a difference, especially if the heat energy is coming from a light source but for any cooking purposes it is so small as to be completely irrelevant. The only reason that there is a shiny and dull side is because of the way they are rolled in the factory.

Paul

I heard once that the sheets were rolled out in pairs, and that, when pulled apart, the dull sides were on the interior. True?

Exactly. The sheets have to be rolled in pairs because they are too thin and would tear in the machine.

Edited by BistroPaul (log)

More detail from Reynolds:

In the final rolling step, two layers of foil are passed through the rolling mill at the same time. The side coming in contact with the mill's highly polished steel rollers becomes shiny. The other side, not coming in contact with the heavy rollers, comes out with a dull or matte finish.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

All this applies to REGULAR foil - doesn't matter which side is up. BUT the newer, non-stick foil, is different. The less shiny side should be the one touching the food. Formerly sold with the brand name RELEASE it is now sold as SLIDE. From my current package "SIMPLY WRAP OR PLACE FOOD WITH NON-STICK (DULL SIDE) FACING FOOD.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Actual tin foil disappeared from Canadian grocery stores half a century ago, according to Alcan Inc. Apparently it's much stiffer and more dull-looking than the same thickness of aluminum foil.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Because that sort of foil was originally made of tin. So everybody called it 'tin foil.' When tin was replaced by aluminum, many folks continued to refer to it by the earlier, and, let's face it, easier, name.

I often still refer to it as 'tin foil' even though I very well know it's not. My elderly parents call it 'tin foil' because that's what it was when it first hit their mama's kitchens as a fabulous new invention.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.