• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Extreme free stuff on your birthday

Fat Guy

There's a sports bar in Danbury, Connecticut, called TK's. The establishment is (justly) famous for its chicken wings. TK's has a special offer for customers celebrating birthdays: on your birthday, you get as many free wings as you are years old. So, for example, if my son had celebrated his last birthday at TK's he would have received 4 free wings. Had I celebrated my last birthday there I'd have received 40.

Our friend Sean, who lives in Danbury and comes from an old Danbury family, recently invited us to his grandparents' birthday party. Grandparents' birthday party? Yes, his grandmother and grandfather were born on the same date (as in same month and day). He was turning 93. She was turning 91.

That's 184 free wings. That's a lot of wings.

I was armed for a photo op but there was never a whole platter of 184 wings presented. Rather, the wings were brought out in waves in baskets of about 20. Needless to say, I ate a lot of wings. And they were good.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

That sounds like a sweet PR opportunity for the business. I'd be on the phone with any local-paper types I happened to know if I were the owner or manager. Of course I live in a small town where things like that make people smile, I'm not familiar with the area you're referring to so maybe it wouldn't be a big deal there. Then again, no matter where you live it can't be that common for a couple to celebrate a combined 184 years by going out for wings. That's pretty cool.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

The local TV station was supposed to cover it, or had expressed interest in covering it, but never showed up. There was probably some hard news that took precedence. And I don't think there was anybody there from the local paper either, though I know the editors there were contacted. It would have been a great story too.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)