• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Retail locations for great coffee beans?

Stumptown is roasting beans in brooklyn but is selling them in bags at their cafe at the Ace Hotel on 29th & Broadway. Excellent, full selection of beans, better than you'll find anywhere else in NY, and a hell of a lot easier than flying to Portland or Seattle. You can also get them in Soho at City Girl Cafe on Thompson St. (they only carry 2-3 varieties though).

Intelligentsia's lab is in Soho on Broadway between Prince and Spring and I really enjoyed the cupping class I took there, but I don't think they sell beans. You can find Intelligentsia's beans at 9th St. Espresso (several locations in E. Village and Chelsea Market - http://www.ninthstreetespresso.com/) and at Ground Support in Soho on W. Broadway just below Spring.

I've purchased Intellegentsia from Ground Support...really nice people in there. Don't think they only sell what's already pre-bagged; ask the guy in charge for any of the beans by the 1/2 pound, and I'm sure he'll sell you some.

Counter Culture's beans are also available at a few places; in my neighborhood, at Roots & Vines, on Grand Street at Clinton St.

Buyer beware - check the roast dates on all pre-bagged beans - even Stumps at 9th St.

Intellegentsia's mail order rocks...they roast to order, ship the next day, and it usually arrives 2 - 3 days later...a bit more expensive due to shipping charges, but all their coffees are available.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Checking the dates is an excellent point. Dean & Deluca used to have month old Intelligentsia on its shelves, now has month old Counter Culture beans. No thank you.

Since the Stumptown are now roasted in red hook the roast dates at the bags at the cafe at the Ace Hotel were only days before I purchased. Awesome.

• 2 months later...

For Intelligentsia beans, you can also buy from Southside in the south slope, 19th st & sixth. There's another place down the block (Roots? We have so many shops, i forget which is which) that serves Stumptown, and some nice vegan snacks if you're into the sort of thing, but doesn't sell whole bean - or didn't last time I was there, at least.