• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

tropical herbs, salad greens and vegetables...what grows in your part

clareskitchen

I live in the tropics in Far North Queensland, Australia, and have a big herb and veggie garden. Into doing most of my cooking with stuff we can grow here (which is a lot as there are so many microclimates in this part of the world).

Interested in hearing from other members who live in the tropics about the specific and special local herbs, salad greens and green leafy vegetables that you have, and use.

I'm keen to plant as wide a variety as I can so I can experiment with cooking a range of fresh dishes from the tropical parts of the world.

Currently I have brazil spinach, kangkKong, aibika, bok choy, tatsoi, ceylon spinach growing in the green leafy vegetables and curious to try more types (have grown amaranth but have run out of seed).

Herbs I have include lemongrass, tumeric, ginger, cuban oregano, thyme, oregano, french tarragon, sage, rosemary, sweet basil, pandan, and I'm keen to try more, especially Asian herbs.

Salads I'm out of at present as about to replant new ones, but tend to grow Darwin lettuce (a north Australian variety, tropical hardy)and rocket(aragula).

I'd love to hear suggestions, and any tips you have on growing them and how you tend to use them. Thanks!

Clare at Clare's Kitchen