• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dark Pumpkin Tart

paulraphael

Dark Pumpkin Tart

Serves 12 as Dessert.

If you're getting sick of pumpkin pies, try this. Great depth of flavor, great texture, and the sophistication of a French Tart ... a balance of crust and filling that I prefer to deep-dish pies.

• 2 partially cooked tart shells, 9 to 10 inches
  • 1-3/4 c pumpkin puree*
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp ground allspice
  • 1/4 tsp ground or grated ginger
  • 1 tsp teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 c brown sugar (preferably dark brown)**
  • 1/4 c honey (half light, half dark)**
  • 1/2 c heavy cream
  • 1/4 c whole milk
  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten

*Fresh is best. I like to use sugar pumpkins, cut in thin strips and roasted, in order to evaporate as much moisture as possible. Puree and strain.

** The flavor profile will be strongly influenced by the sugar and honey. Dark brown sugars like dark muscovado, and a blend of honeys that includes a dark one like chestnut, will give the darker, more intense flavor that sets this recipe apart.

Directions

- while tart shells are prebaking, mix pumpkin, sugar, honey, and spices in medium sized heavy saucepan.

- stir over medium heat and bring to a light boil. keep stirring until mixture thickens (about 5 minutes)

- reduce heat.

- in a small mixing bowl, beat the eggs until yolks are broken and well mixed. set aside.

- after removing pie weights from tart shells and putting back in the oven, you have a few minutes for the final steps. add milk and cream. Turn up heat and stir until it begins to simmer. turn off heat.

- temper the eggs and mix: pour about half the hot pumpkin mixture into the eggs while stirring rapidly. mix it all together before the eggs get a chance to curdle.

-pour the egg/pumpkin mixture into the saucepan with the rest of the pumpkin mixture and stir thoroughly.

- oven should be on from prebaking tart shells. set to 375°

-pour mixture into tart shells

- put tarts in the oven on bottom rack

- tart is cooked when center still jiggles when shaken, but does not slosh around, and edges of shell are well browned 25 to 30 minutes. I go longer rather than shorter, in order to help crisp the bottom of the shell.

-cool on cooling rack

I like to serve warm. Heating pieces on a hot skillet right before serving will help crisp the bottom of the shell.

Keywords: Dessert, American, Intermediate, Fruit, Tart

( RG2050 )

Notes from the underbelly