• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vietnamese Chili sate sauce

jmolinari

Vietnamese Chili sate sauce

This recipe was given to me by a local Vietnamese restaurant chef after i told him how much i loved the chili sauce they serve at the table. It goes on EVERYTHING!

25g garlic

30g shallots

80g lemon grass

8g fresh thai bird chilis

~1 cup peanut oil

2.5tsp sugar

3T fish sauce

1/2 tsp kosher salt

1/2 tsp MSG

2-3T Sriracha chili sauce

30g crushed red thai chilis, the dry red ones about 3-4" long

Food process the garlic, shallots and lemon grass separately. Get the garlic and shallots to a fine mince size, and the lemon grass well processed, but not to powder. Mince the fresh bird chilis by hand

Put 1/4 cup oil in small sauce pan, add garlic. Let fry on low low heat for 5 minutes.

Add shallots and 2 T. oil, keep frying on low heat for 10 minutes more. It should just sizzle and cook gently, no browning.

Add lemon grass, and 1/4 cup oil. Let fry on low for another 10-15 minutes.

Add minced bird chilis, fry for 5 minutes

Add crushed red pepper, fry for 5-10 minutes, and 1/4 cup oil

Add sriracha to achieve the desired color, about 3-4T., and the rest of the ingredients. Let cook another minute or 2. Add more oil as needed to barely cover the top. ( I added about 3 or 4 more Tbl.)

I also buzzed it with a hand blender, for just a little to make it a touch smoother. Not much.

Keywords: Easy, Condiment, Vietnamese

( RG2018 )