• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chipotle beef brisket

llc45

chipotle beef brisket

When I first saw this recipe in a magazine around 10 years ago, I don't know what possessed me to try it because I had never had brisket or even heard of chipotle peppers. I am glad I did because it so easy. I lost the original recipe and have made some modifications over the years but it doesn't seem that you can mess it up. I serve it with corn pancakes made with regular and creamed corn, as well as cilantro and/or green onions. The sweet corn cake is a nice balance with the spicy meat. I will add it as a separate recipe.

I always used to make it with whatever cheap beer that was left over from a party (which my husband won't drink). Recently, I made it with a better quality beer (Becks, I think) and it came out even better.

The recipe calls for a small quantity of chipotle with adobo but my family likes spicy so I normally double the recipe and throw in the whole can of chipotle peppers and adobo sauce.

• 1 T minced chipotle pepper with adobo sauce
  • 1 large spanish onion
  • 1 T chili powder
  • 12 oz chili sauce
  • 12 oz beer
  • 2 lb boneless beef brisket

Salt and pepper the brisket and brown it well. Place it in a crock pot with the beer, chile sauce and canned minced chipotle pepper with adobo. I am lazy and just throw in a can whole and then fish them out at the end and either throw it out or chop and add back, depending on who is eating it.

Thinly slice the onion and saute it in the same pan. Once it is slightly brown, add the chili powder and saute until fragrant. Add this to crock pot. I normally deglaze the pan with some sauce to get out every bit. I generally cook it around 6-8 hrs on high at first and then switched to low.

Sometimes the sauce turns out watery. So, while I am shredding or slicing the beef, I normally boil down the sauce a little. Definitely better the next day.

Keywords: Easy, Beef, Hot and Spicy, Crock Pot

( RG2013 )