• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creamy Cheddar and Potato Soup with Smoked Bacon

Chef Bradley

Creamy Cheddar and Potato Soup with Smoked Bacon

Serves 20 as Soup.

Hello everyone. This is my first post here as a member of egullet. I submitted this recipe to The National Culinary Review magazine back in the April, 2006 edition. I came up with this recipe at work and have been getting rave reviews from it. Sure, it's far from low-fat, but it's a great thing to enjoy by a fireplace on a cold winter night. Enjoy.

• 4 Strips of Smoked Bacon, Diced

• ½ Medium Onion, Diced

• 2 Whole Bay Leaves

• 1/3 C Flour

• 2 Medium Russet Potatoes, Peeled and Diced

• 3-5 Medium Red Bliss Potatoes, Skin On and Diced

• 1 Quart Chicken Stock

• 2 C Whole Milk

• 2 C Heavy Cream

• ½ Cup Extra Sharp Cheddar, Shredded

• ½ Cup Mild Cheddar, Shredded

• 1 T Italian Parsley, Chopped

• 3 Dashes of Hot Sauce

• Salt and Pepper To Taste

Render bacon with onions and bay leaves on medium heat until almost crisp. Remove from pan and set aside, discarding bay leaves, leaving fat behind.

Add flour to create a roux and mix completely, cooking about 5 minutes.

Add all liquids and peeled russet potatoes to cooked roux, cook until potatoes are thoroughly cooked, stirring occasionally.

Blend with stick blender until potatoes are completely pureed.

Add diced red bliss potatoes and reserved bacon and onion mixture. Simmer until red potatoes are just fork tender.

Carefully stir in shredded cheddar cheeses until completely melted, check seasoning, and then add hot sauce, salt and pepper accordingly.

Serve with crispy rustic accompaniments such as fried potato sticks, gaufrette potatoes, or crunchy parmesan croutons.

Keywords: Soup, Potatoes, Easy

( RG1897 )