• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Braised barecued short ribs

santo_grace

Braised barecued short ribs

Serves 4 as Main Dish.

This recipe was adapted from one used by Sarah Stregner adn George Bumbaris of Prairie Grass Cafe in Northbrook, IL. I've modified it from the version they provided to the Chicago Tribune. It's great to make the day ahead and reheat. It's very good with polenta, noodles, or potatoes.

4 beef short ribs, 14-16 oz each

1/2 tsp salt

freshly ground pepper

2 Tbl olive oil

2 onions, chopped

1 each, chopped: carrot, celery

3 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) chicken broth

1 cup chili sauce

1/4 cup Worchestershire sauce

2 Tbl dark brown sugar

2 bay leaves

1 Tbl fresh thyme leaves

Heat over to 300 degrees; season ribs with salt and pepper. Brown ribs in oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook ribs in batches if neceesary, until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Remove and set aside.

Add the onions, celery and carrot to Dutch oven, cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the chicken broth, chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, bay leaves and thyme. Return meat to the pan; cover. Put in the oven and cook until meat is tender (2 1/2 - 3 hours). Remove bay leaves.

Remove the meat from the bones. Strain the sauce through a strainer, pushing down on solids, getting as much sauce as possible. Return to pan and skim the fat from sauce. Thicken sauce by adding a little cornstarch slurry, and cooking until desired consistency.

Return meat to Dutch oven to combine/reheat meat.

Serve with desired starch.

Keywords: Beef, Easy, Main Dish

( RG1887 )

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.