• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken in Champagne Vinegar Sauce

Susan in FL

Chicken in Champagne Vinegar Sauce

Servings: 4 as a main dish

This is my adaption of a recipe that was in an old issue of Bon Appétit. My family has always liked the Champagne vinegar flavor better than the flavor of tarragon vinegar, which was in the original recipe. Through the years I have continued to modify the recipe. Though whipping cream is a good substitute for crème fraîche, the latter is better.

• 1 3 - 4 pound chicken, cut into pieces
  • 6 T butter
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 large carrot, chopped
  • 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 T tomato paste
  • 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 c Champagne vinegar
  • 1 c dry white wine, such as Chardonnay
  • 1 T chopped fresh basil leaves
  • 1 T chopped fresh parsley leaves
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 1/4 c crème fraîche or whipping cream

Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Melt butter in large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown on all sides, turning occasionally. Transfer chicken to a plate, and add the onion, carrot, and garlic to the skillet and sauté until the onion is just translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Mix in tomato paste, and then tomatoes, vinegar, wine, herbs, and pepper.

Bring this mixture to a simmer. Return chicken to the skillet. Over medium heat simmer until the chicken is cooked through, turning three or four times, 25 to 30 minutes.

Transfer chicken to a plate. Boil sauce until reduced to 1 1/2 to 2 cups, or to desired thickness. Reduce the heat, stir in crème fraîche, and season with salt and pepper. Return the chicken to the skillet and simmer just until heated through, about 2 minutes.

Arrange chicken on serving platter or individual plates, and spoon sauce over.

Keywords: Main Dish, Intermediate, Chicken, Dinner, French

( RG1588 )

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.