• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creamy Stovetop Rice Pudding

etalanian

Creamy Stovetop Rice Pudding

Serves 8 as Dessert.

My family has been making this rice pudding for decades. It has evolved with each new generation of cooks. In lieu of the extract, I often add a split and scraped vanilla bean with the milk, and remove it before adding the cream. You can also omit the cinnamon stick and sprinkle the pudding with ground cinnamon. I like to use Vietnamese or Saigon cinnamon. You can also add a handful of raisins, dried cherries, dried cranberries, or other dried fruits. Be sure to chop them if they are large.

• 1/2 c short grain rice
  • 1 c water
  • 2 oz (4 Tbl) unsalted butter
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 qt of whole or lowfat milk
  • 1 stick of cinnamon, 3 inches
  • 2/3 c granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 1/2 c heavy cream

Bring the rice, water, butter and salt to a boil in a pan, then reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, until there is no water in the pan (but don't let the rice scorch).

Add the whole or lowfat milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat as low as you can and simmer until the rice is cooked. This could take 30 minutes.

Lightly whisk the sugar and eggs and stir into the rice mixture, with the 3-inch stick of cinnamon. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a heatproof spatula, until the pudding thickens. I use an instant read thermometer and cook it to 170 degrees. The eggs will not curdle if you stir constantly and remove the pan from the heat as soon as it reaches 170 degrees.

Add the heavy cream and vanilla and stir to blend in. Chill.

Keywords: Dessert, Easy, Rice, Dinner, Pudding

( RG1585 )

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow