• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meemaw's Red Velvet Cake

andiesenji

Meemaw's Red Velvet Cake

This is not the ordinary Red Velvet Cake. It uses no food coloring.

It contains cherry puree and grenadine syrup.

The cherry/cocoa/vanilla/grenadine combination is very flavorful.

MEEMAW’S RED VELVET CAKE

It is very important to follow the directions exactly. Note there is no baking powder in this cake. The action of the acids and alkaline ingredients mixed in the proper order and the extended beating to incorporate air into the batter is what leavens this cake.

You must start with all ingredients at room temperature so set the eggs out and measure out the buttermilk at least an hour before you plan to start mixing.

2-2/3 cups all purpose flour (you can also use 1/2 all purpose and 1/2 cake flour for a more tender cake and a finer texture)

1/2 cup Crisco (This is important for the texture, butter doesn’t work as well.)

2 large eggs - room temp.

1 level teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

3 rounded Tablespoons cocoa (regular, not Dutch process)

1 cup buttermilk - room temp (or 3/4 cup sour creamed thinned with a little milk to make 1 cup).

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

1 cup pitted canned cherries(sweetened), drained and pureed

1/4 cup grenadine syrup

2 teaspoons vinegar

First grease and flour 2 9-inch cake pans - or line with bakers parchment. You can also use a large rectangular pan.

In a large mixing bowl cream the shortening, sugar and vanilla, beat until very fluffy.

Add eggs, one at a time, beating each until completely incorporated into the batter, set aside.

In a separate bowl, mix together the cocoa, cherry puree, grenadine syrup and vinegar and set aside.

In a medium bowl mix together the buttermilk, flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.

Turn oven on, set at 350 degrees F.

Add the cocoa/cherry mix to shortening/sugar/vanilla, blend well.

Add the buttermilk/ flour/baking soda/ salt mixture to the batter and blend until batter is completely smooth and looks silky.

Continue beating on medium speed for 3 minutes. This is important!

Pour batter into the cake pans.

With a rubber (or silicone) spatula, start at the center and turning the pans, spread the batter out toward the edges so the level is slightly lower in the center.

Bake for 50 minutes, test with a cake tester, if it still appears moist, bake an additional 5-10 minutes.

( RG1542 )

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett