• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian-inspired Lentil Soup

Carolyn Tillie

Indian-inspired Lentil Soup

Serves 20 as Soup.

I readily admit to fiscal irresponsibility. Inasmuch, I often find myself having to create something that will feed Shawn and I for a week at a time without costing a lot of money. We both like lentil soup and the following offering was a complete experiment that I am very thrilled with.

• 1/4 c olive oil
  • 1 lb diced carrot
  • 1 lb diced celery
  • 2 lb diced onion
  • 1 can (28 oz.) diced, peeled tomatoes
  • 1 qt chicken broth (can substitute vegetable)
  • 1 qt beef broth (can substitute vegetable)
  • 4 c dried lentils
  • 2 T Panch Phoron
  • 2 Bayleaves
  • Salt and Pepper as needed
  • Fresh baby spinach leaves, to taste

Heat olive oil in large, heavy-bottomed stock pot.

Over medium heat, saute onions until translucent (about five minutes). Add carrots and celery and continue cooking another five minutes. Add Panch Phoron and continue sauteing to release the spice scent (a minute or two).

The tomatoes, broth, lentils, and bayleaves are added. Bring to a boil and then reduce, simmering for a half-hour or until very reduced and thick. Add another quart or two of water back into the soup to desired brothiness. Salt and pepper to taste.

Serve garnished with a handful of fresh baby spinach leaves.

Keywords: Vegetarian, Vegan, Easy, Beans, Indian, Soup

( RG866 )