• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sourdough Fruitcake

Jaymes

Sourdough Fruitcake

• 1/2 c raisins
  • 1-1/2 c currants
  • 3 c mixed candied fruits, or peels, or dates, figs, etc.
  • 1 c hard cider (or sherry, port, rum, Muscatel or brandy)
  • 1 c sugar
  • 1 c brown sugar
  • 2/3 c shortening (I use buttery-flavor Crisco)
  • 1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp allspice
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 c sourdough starter
  • 1 c sliced almonds (or chopped pecans)
  • 4 c sifted AP flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp salt

Rinse, drain, coarsely chop raisins; rinse, drain and pick over currants; chop fruits and peels. Combine all fruits with cider (or wine or brandy or whatever). Cover and let stand overnight. Cream together the shortening and spices until fluffy. Beat in eggs. Stir in starter. Combine with fruit mixture and nuts. Sift flour, soda and salt together into batter and mix well. Turn into two loaf pans that have been greased and lined with heavy brown paper. Bake below oven center in very slow oven (275º) about 2 1/2 hours. Remove from pans. Cool on wire racks before turning out and removing paper. Spoon additional 2 or 3 T wine or cider over each cooled loaf before storing. Wrap in foil and refrigerate. These will mellow day by day.

Keywords: Dessert, Cake

( RG414 )

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.