• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TOMATO CHUTNEY

Suvir Saran

TOMATO CHUTNEY

I have missed this chutney for the longest of time. Growing up in Delhi, my sisters best friend in school was from the South. (Andhra Pradesh to be precise. Andhra is most famous for their pickles and chutneys). Her mother would make the best tomato chutney. A couple of years ago, experimenting with some really ripe tomatoes and relying on my memory, I came up with the recipe. It really tastes like Durgas mothers recipe. I now make it all the time. And in fact, when tomatoes are in season and ripe and bursting with flavor and juice, I make a lot of this chutney, can it and give it out as gifts to friends when visiting them. It is a fiery chutney for most palates. But those that are familiar with Andhra pickles and chutneys will find it just average.

I love the chutney with fenugreek seeds, they add a slight bitterness to the chutney that I love. If you are not a fan of bitter tastes, avoid using it. Suvir Saran

• 8 lb very ripe beefsteak tomatoes, chopped finely
  • 1-1/2 c canola oil
  • 40 fresh curry leaves
  • 16 whole dried chiles
  • 2 T mustard seeds
  • 1 T cumin seeds
  • 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds, optional
  • 1/3 c sugar
  • 2 T cayenne (half if you want a milder chutney)
  • 2 T corriander seed powder
  • 1 T paprika
  • 1 T sambhaar powder
  • 2 tsp turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp asafetida
  • 1 6 oz can tomato paste
  • 3 T salt (or more to taste)

1. Pour the oil in a large sauce pot, enough to hold the tomatoes and then some. It is important that the pot be deep, as the chutney will simmer a long while and will splatter otherwise all over your stove and counter.

2. Measure out all the dried spices other than the asafetida into a bowl and set aside.

3. In the oil add the curry leaves, whole red chiles, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds if using. Fry over a medium high flame for 3 minutes or until the chiles are a nice dark color and the cumin are a nice golden brown.

4. Now add the asafetida and fry for half a minute. Add the dried spices and fry for barely half a minute and add the chopped tomatoes. Add the salt and sugar. Stir well and cook on this medium high flame for an hour and a half or until the oil has separated and the chutney begins to stick to the bottom of the pan.

5. Fill the chutney into 10 sterilized half-pint jars and process as per manufacturers instructions for 20 minutes.

6. Cool, check for seal, label and store.

Keywords: Indian, Intermediate, Condiment, Vegetables

( RG139 )

• Like 1