• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cheese

High Priestess

Hi everyone.

Can anyone recommend a great book about cheese? I'd like to expand my knowledge.

I love cheese, and there is an amazing cheese shop here in L.A.

But every time I go in I find myself buying the same five or six cheeses because I don't really know

what I'm looking at.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Priestess

A couple that I recently got, and love:

The New American Cheese by Laura Werlin; © 2000, published by Stewart, Tabori & Chang; ISBN 1-55670-990-0

This is all American artisinal cheeses, full of information and with lots of recipes and profiles of cheesemakers.

The Cheese Plate by Max McCalman and David Gibbons; © 2002, published by Clarkson Potter; ISBN 0-609-60496-1

Pure information, no recipes. Suggestions for pairings of other foods with cheeses, beverages with cheeses, other cheeses with cheeses. Max is the "Maître Fromager" for Picholine and Artisanal in NYC (where eGulleteers meet and eat :wink: ).

Both books are good in that they give you a rundown on the content, style, taste, smell, and look of every cheese they discuss. So you can determine whether or not you might even want to go on a hunt.

And I'll bet you can order them through amazon. :wink:

We really like Dorling Kindersley "French Cheeses", by Kazuko Masui and Tomoko Yamada, with a foreward by Joel Robuchon. Photos, maps, origins and methods of production are all clear. We also subcribe to Caseus International, "a quarterly magazine of cheese art and culture". Sample articles from issue #1: European Cheese Certification; Raw milk cheese characteristic and their positive effects on health; The right to choose our cheese; The long road of the traditional Italian cheeses from Italy to the USA; Sheep milk jewels from Polish Tatra Mountains.

Further information:

Caseus Magazine

Viale del Basento, 108

85100 Potenza - Italy

Phone and fax: +39 0971 54661

e-mail: caseusmagazine@libero.it

This is what I love about Egullet - the opportunity to share information about a cheese magazine!

Further information:

Caseus Magazine

Viale del Basento, 108

85100 Potenza - Italy

Phone and fax: +39 0971 54661

e-mail: caseusmagazine@libero.it

This is what I love about Egullet - the opportunity to share information about a cheese magazine!

This is what i hate about egullet - since joining it my spendings on food related stuff have wildly grown :angry: just recently - all these deals on wine glasses, calphalon non-stick...

Oh, and btw, there is a deal on the magazine mentioned by Liza:

Special Deal at the end of the page :raz:

Steve Jenkins' Cheese Primer has all the information I ever need and is easy to understand and comprehensive.

He was the first American to get the Chevalier du Taste-Fromage award, whatever that is and was responsible for setting up New York's premier cheese departments in many of our food specialty stores.

Its an all around excellent source.

I agree that the Jenkins book is a quality resource. It's the most clearly written of the ones I've seen and it always seems to have whatever information I'm looking for.

Note: Should you purchase any of the aforementioned books from Amazon, please do so via the Amazon link at the bottom of any page of eGullet. This will allow us to collect a small commission so that, eventually, we will be able to upgrade to a server that runs boolean searches in less than three minutes.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)