• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Klink's Sausage Diary, Day 1

col klink

The BEST kielbasa I ever ate was sent, on a paper plate on Christmas Day, by a friend of one of my cousins in Detroit "for her family". It had LOTS of garlic. It was about two pounds, homemade, and not nearly enough even for people who were already very full.

My uncle, who claimed not to like garlic and liked to say that my mother would put garlic in ice cream, loved it because it had "the right spice."

It had a great crumbly texture, which I like, I often think people put too much water into their sausage to make it "smooth." There's a famous kielbasa maker in Milwaukee (sorry, can't remember the name, but on the south side of course) who uses ice instead of water. I think it's because you can use less, as the friction of grinding and ambient room temperature will make it melt. It allows you to distribute it throughout the grind, I think maybe with water you sometimes end up adding too much.