• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sirloin is coming to room temp on counter

FoodMuse

<edited to add> I see you can't edit your post titles. couter = counter.

I suppose I'll rub it with a bit of oil and lots of salt and even more pepper.

Can't decide between a hot nonstick pan vs broiling til rare. Wish I had cast iron.

It's dry aged and looks fantastic. Probably about 1 inch thick.

Any tips for not screwing up this cut? Quick garlicky marinade?

Feel free to merge, I did the eGullet search and as usual can never find what I want. :)

Thanks,

Grace

Edited by FoodMuse (log)

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Most beef for steaks is aged. It's a question of dry aged versus wet aged. And I would not cook them differently.

One thing worth clarifying is what is meant by "sirloin." Is it actually a piece of sirloin or is it actually a strip steak? That's a common ambiguity in steak terminology.

My favorite way to cook a strip or a ribeye:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=119838

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

@FatGuy The steaks were dry aged. I find it curious that the cooking process wouldn't be different depending on how it's aged.

Anyway, sweet juicy success! Cooked as I said I would in previous post. 3 min on one side 2 on the other and 5 in a 325 degree oven. Good med. rare color, but I would have preferred it more rare. Next time will just stick to 3 min on each side and let it rest 5-7 min, no oven time.

Good flavor and it was tender. Served it with pureed green peas and a green salad with vidalia onion and a purchased Fig Balsamic Vinaigrette.

Yum.

Grace

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking