• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DeBondt videos

Lior

Looks like he's placing cello-wrapped "prizes" inside.

Thanks for the video!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Thanks Lior,

Looks fun!

you are so awesome lior! makes me really really really really want an airbrush/air gun/compressor thing :) and his eggs are GORGEOUS! i'm going to watch all his videos (wish i knew what he was saying though!) as for the prize....hmm....just looks like some non-edible toy or something?

as for my eggs...just did 2 more batches last night following everyone's advice...and this morning? flawless. perfect. its like i don't even remember my past frustrations!!! :P

Thank you so much for that video!!!!!!! I can't even put enough exclamation marks to show you how excited I am! I was going to write him and ask him to do a teaching video of his eggs as I'm sure many chocolatiers would buy it. And he's a good teacher - he seems to like it.

When we were there and he was showing us how to do one of his eggs he told us about the 'gifts' inside. He said it's the way the Italians do it. People will come to him with engagement rings and other gifts to put in the eggs for custom orders. Otherwise it's a generic gift. He said it's a bit of a pain as he has to stop the spinning machine before the egg is completely set - yet set enough so the gift doesn't sink into the chocolate. He opens up the mold, deposits the gift, then closes it and puts it back on the spinner. Tricky.

Yes, it does indeed!

By the way, I assume that his workshop must be kept at a fairly cool temperature so that those huge eggs set properly...

John DePaula
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

By the way, I assume that his workshop must be kept at a fairly cool temperature so that those huge eggs set properly...

He puts them in the cooler to set. His workshop is rather humble considering the masterpieces he does. You can almost tell he was a 'starving artist' for a time! Up until recently, his 'melter' was an old fridge that he rigged with a lightbulb and a fan. He'd put pots of chocolate in there to melt overnight. How funny is that!

When we were there we spent a day with him. Wouldn't it be great to do a 3 or 4 day workshop with him... I wonder if he'd do that in his quiet time. Like I said, he seems to really enjoy teaching - and he speaks english. Anyone interested???? I'd be willing to ask...

Great excuse to go to Italy!

He puts them in the cooler to set. His workshop is rather humble considering the masterpieces he does. You can almost tell he was a 'starving artist' for a time! Up until recently, his 'melter' was an old fridge that he rigged with a lightbulb and a fan. He'd put pots of chocolate in there to melt overnight. How funny is that!

When we were there we spent a day with him. Wouldn't it be great to do a 3 or 4 day workshop with him... I wonder if he'd do that in his quiet time. Like I said, he seems to really enjoy teaching - and he speaks english. Anyone interested???? I'd be willing to ask...

Great excuse to go to Italy!

Lana, did you take your class with him in Italy?

John DePaula
--------------------

Lana, did you take your class with him in Italy?

I did the Ecole Chocolat online course and the Italy program is one of their Master programs available to take after the completion of the basic program. We visited and worked with several chocolatiers - Paul DeBondt being one of them (and the best in my opinion :smile:)