• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trimbach wine dinner at Vetri

NaFairge

heard there is an amazing evening in the works:

jean trimbach of the famous namesake winery (known amongst other things for their superb riesling) offering some crazy wines.

7 courses with 7 wines for $250.

anyone have thoughts? sounds incredible.

"the soul contains three elements in dining: to feel, to remember, to imagine." --andoni luiz aduriz

is that the price per person or per couple? does it include tax and gratuity? the high end trimbach reislings i have tried have allways been quite nice, but it would also be nice to know which wines and which vintages will be offered... just saying...

I do have thoughts: we were thinking of going, then thought again about the price and decided to pass. Vetri offers excellent meals, but their prices have stopped being justifiable. AFAIK there are still tables available, so we must not be the only people who have come to this conclusion. $250 + tax + tip = $640 per couple. No, thanks.

I do have thoughts: we were thinking of going, then thought again about the price and decided to pass. Vetri offers excellent meals, but their prices have stopped being justifiable. AFAIK there are still tables available, so we must not be the only people who have come to this conclusion. $250 + tax + tip = $640 per couple. No, thanks.

Huh. I actually think their everyday prices are fairly steep, but, given the wine lineup, and the opportunity to meet Trimbach, this seemed like a reasonably fair deal.

i think it's a decent deal also. my guess is, the cost reflects that this is just one seating? you would have your table all evening?

those are some very good wines being poured.

The point was moot because, unfortunately, we were busy. And yes, they are good wines, I do not dispute that. Still, let's say that you're paying for the evening: I do that on a regular basis and I usually don't complain, though after a recent experience (truffles were involved but the tab *for the quality thereof* was best defined as offensive) I will probably go less often.

In this case, however, at $171/person for the wines... I would probably have passed even if I had not been busy.