• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pomegranate Powder

ejw50

While visiting Chef Rubber's store, I bought pomegranate powder on a whim.

Anybody use this stuff before? Any tricks or anything I should be keeping in mind? Any suggestions are welcome. I do not use powdered fruit all that often so I'm not even sure what proportions to use.

Can't help you out but I was eyeballing that this week as I put in my ChefRubber order. I was thinking of using it to decorate. Is it quite a deep red like pomegranates are? On the website it looks quite pale. I purchased some freeze-dried raspberry powder and it's a beautiful red.

I was also talking to Paul about using the fruit and veggie powders to colour cocoa butter. He explained that their process to colour their natural cocoa butters is much more involved than just adding powders. I still think I might give it a try with my raspberry powder. Has anyone ever tried anything like that?

Good luck with learning more about your pomegranate powder. I'd love to hear what you come up with and how you liked it.

I'm not sure how it would taste but I think you should be able to use it to flavour and colour IMBC. I was also thinking you could use it to enhance the flavour of a preserve or coulis. What about pomegranate marshmallows? You could put it in them as well as dust them with a mixture of icing sugar and the powder.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden