• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Artisan Wheat Thins

Catherine Iino

I like Nabisco Wheat Thins just fine. But now comes an ad flyer in my newspaper for "Wheat Thins Artisan Cheese Crackers." Bad enough that my local Stop and Shop sells its own bread as "Artisan Bread" just because it's boule-shaped. Nabisco as artisan? Poor John Thorne--I believe he set the word off on its current trajectory with his great essay on the "Artisanal Loaf" back in the late eighties. Well, the word started arcing downward about half a dozen years ago, and now it's crashed landed. RIP

Catherine,

So glad you brought this up. I love crackers like Wheat Thins but I've been searching for some with a short list of pronounceable ingredients (a la Michael Pollan In Defense of Food). I'm not having much luck among the standard supermarket fare.

I think my next step will be homemade then, so I was wondering if anyone had any guidance or good recipes to offer up.

Thanks in advance,

Sabine

Those would be artisan wheat thins after all!

Crackers might be the only thing I haven't tried baking myself. I don't have any recipes to offer. I tend to serve cheese and "dips" with bread--often flatbread--rather than crackers these days.

Wheat Thins are not the worst on the Pollan Count by any means, but there are those monoglycerides. How do you feel about Triscuits? I love 'em, and the only ingredients listed are wheat, oil, and salt. Yes, "soybean or palm oil," which I'm not crazy about. But whole wheat is good.

I think my next step will be homemade then, so I was wondering if anyone had any guidance or good recipes to offer up.

From a search of eGullet:

"Homemade Crackers, Merged topics"

"Cracker-like flatbreads and crackers, Nuts over one at Brio"

Not quite what you're looking for:

"homemade oyster crackers recipe needed please"

And finally, they are called crackers :wink: :

"Graham Cracker recipes, MERGED TOPIC" :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I don't have the book in front of me, but I remember a recipe in Alton Brown's first book that I made once and thought, "These are like homemade Wheat Thins!"

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2