• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Biodynamic wine barrels could this be a fact::

Don Giovanni

Biodynamic wine barrels could this be a fact::

I was poking around the pond and did see a person ask a very good question...Can a wine barrel be biodynamic...?...

Sure as long as the tree is felled during a new moon + - 5 days...How could would you be able to tell...?... by the resin in the wood ...

will a biodynamic barrel make a wine taste better...this has not to my knowledge been studied scientifically, but I would have to say yes...

What would the stages of the moon have to do with the resin in the tree? If, in fact, the amount of resin changes during the moon's cycle, where does it go when it is at its ebb and how does it move? Resin is incredibly viscous stuff.

What would the stages of the moon have to do with the resin in the tree?  If, in fact, the amount of resin changes during the moon's cycle, where does it go when it is at its ebb and how does it move?  Resin is incredibly viscous stuff.

It goes down the tap root and not in the tree...think about taping a tree for Maple syrup...

The question in my mind is whether there really is more resin in the wood according to the phases of the moon, or whether some people just say this and/or take it as gospel. I also wonder whether or not, assuming the moon phase thing is really true, other factors might have a substantially larger effect (e.g., time of year the wood is harvested).

--

What would the stages of the moon have to do with the resin in the tree?  If, in fact, the amount of resin changes during the moon's cycle, where does it go when it is at its ebb and how does it move?  Resin is incredibly viscous stuff.

It goes down the tap root and not in the tree...think about taping a tree for Maple syrup...

I understand about maple sugaring, but I don't think resin in an oak tree is the same thing and I can't believe that in the 30 day cycle of the moon, all of the resin in a mature oak first drains into the tap root and then returns to the trunk. Trees just don't work that way.

The other thing I wonder about is how the barrel maker could be confident of making barrels from staves taken from a single tree or trees cut during the same phase of the moon. Most loggers harvest from multiple sites on multiple days and haul the trees to a landing when convenient. The trees at the landing then get loaded but they are liable to be trees cut on a variety of days. Some loggers haul the logs directly to the sawmill but others haul them to a sorting yard where they are stored until they go to a sawmill. The sawmill then cuts the wood from multiple sources and ships it to the end users. The cooper receives staves, whether from France or Indiana or elsewhere, which are liable to be cut from trees harvested days, weeks, or even months apart. I suppose it is conceivable that a winemaker or a cooper could insist upon single-source staves for particular barrels, but I would think the cost would be prohibitive.

The question in my mind is whether there really is more resin in the wood according to the phases of the moon, or whether some people just say this and/or take it as gospel.  I also wonder whether or not, assuming the moon phase thing is really true, other factors might have a substantially larger effect (e.g., time of year the wood is harvested).

Yes you are right ... the time of the year is very much a part of this...you would take your trees down after the trees went into the cold season and shut down or slow down...nice point...