• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine by the glass

southern girl

matt, the only time i've been to artisinal (after which i decided it might be the last for a while, save for the $20 brunch), two of the wines i ordered by the glass were oxidized......so they're not checking/tasting before they pour their 75 different wines or so by the glass "every night"....

besides, i agree with FG:  order by the bottle!!!!!!! especially the half-bottle, if they've got them (3 glasses--you can't go wrong with a good list). :rolleyes:

D'oh - that's what I get for talking about a wine list by the glass that I've never sampled. :shock:

This brings up something I've always wondered - how do restaurants with large by-the-glass lists prevent oxidation? I know there are a wide variety of gadgets, machines, etc. that either remove the air, or layer an inert gas over the wine, but I hear conflicting reports of how well they work. Is it just a matter of turning over the stock quickly enough? Or just letting the wines oxidize?

Most rely on a combination of nitrogen blanket and high turnover. If managed carefully, this works very well. If not managed carefully, it's a mess.

Tommy, there is a room off to the side within the Oyster Bar called The Saloon. That's what I think of as the wine bar. I believe New York Magazine, for what it's worth, chose it as the city's best wine bar last year (tied with Etats-Unis).

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Tommy, there is a room off to the side within the Oyster Bar called The Saloon. That's what I think of as the wine bar. I believe New York Magazine, for what it's worth, chose it as the city's best wine bar last year (tied with Etats-Unis).

i think this is the "grim" place to which i'm referring. selection aside, it's dark, small, and smokey.

I mentioned your reaction to my friends at New York Magazine, and they plan to cease publication at once.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)