• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bomb Bomb BBQ & Italian

rlibkind

An online business travel newsletter I subscribe to (Joe Sent Me) recently wrote about off-airport eats and one of the places he recommended was totally unfamiliar to me: Bomb Bomb BBQ Grill & Italian Restaurant at 1026 Wolf. A really strange-sounding combination of red gravy and bbq. But I figure any place that has fried shark as an appetizer along with calimari can't be that bad.

Anyone been or care to comment?

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Typical neighborhood joint - bar with sports on TV in the front, small dining room in the back. I haven't been for a couple of years but the ribs were great. Great mussels too. Friendly folks taking a lot of pride in their food.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Typical neighborhood joint - bar with sports on TV in the front, small dining room in the back.  I haven't been for a couple of years but the ribs were great.  Great mussels too.  Friendly folks taking a lot of pride in their food.

Holly nailed it. It's atypically good, primarily ethnic, comfort food in an unpretentious atmosphere in a neighborhood of row homes.

my dad and i like to go there after early phils games. really good ribs (like em too much to try the pasta). they have good desserts like mom used to make (icebox cake, pudding, etc). the history of the place (and the name) is pretty interesting, as well.

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

It's a quality neighborhood joint, but I don't think I'd travel out of my way to go there. The ribs are decent, but not authentic smoked bbq. The place does have history and character. The "red gravy" style dishes are competently prepared, but this is South Philly so you could find better (and worse). I rate it a B.

Edited by deprofundis (log)

the ribs are good, but not smoked.  they won a Steve Levy "Golden Spoon" award a while back.  the food overall is good (a B - B+ sounds about right), but the parking in that neighborhood is nightmarish.

We have been there before Phillies games and I echo the parking issues. But, if you can get there it is a nice place for some decent food.

The only time the City Paper censored my column (other than a three word Nashian-like review, "No duck, __ck") was when I wrote about the parking challenge at Bomb Bomb, suggesting that "double parking was the rule and not to worry as the last meter maid to patrol Wolf was now swimming with the fishes on the bottom of the Delaware." My editor never did make clear whether I was perpetuating a stereotype or inciting violence.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter