• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Traditional roast dinners in Central London

I'm in London for a few days and I've got a real hankering for a no holds barred, blast from the Dickens era English roast dinner with Yorkshire pudding and the like. Any restaurants still doing this well in central London? Some searches around the forum yielded no recommendations on where to go, so I've been afraid that it's a bit of a dying art around here. In fact, I saw some places advertising such a meat around Bond Street but most of them screamed tourist trap. I'd like to go somewhere not too stuffy (preferably off the beaten track), and as I'm still a student I'm looking at around 25quid per head. I'd be very thankful for any suggestions!

The classic place is Rules in Covent Garden, which is definitely an experience - the ambience certainly meets your Dickensian criteria - you could imagine the Pickwick lot dining there when they were feeling flush, after a night at the theatre. They have a very extensive menu, based around roast meat, have all the game in season etc. I have yet to have a bad meal there, but honesty compells me to add that I do know people who have had not been so lucky.