• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant options for a big group dinner party

shacke

The holiday dinners for my group have always been in a hotel but over the years people are beginning to feel bored.

I thought it might be a good idea to go into the city and have it at a restaurant. The big head scratcher is what place can hold that many people for an affair? It's always a saturday night which makes it hard for an owner to close down a place.

Any guidance is appreciated. It has to be accessible to parking.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

How big of a group are you looking to accommodate?

For the last two years, La Fourno @ 6th & South has been VERY accomodating for a group of my friends for our holiday party, and on a Saturday night as well. They basically give us the entire upstairs (we're about 20 in number, but there's room in the upstairs for more than that) and let us run rampant/stay as long as we like (as long as some folks are still ordering drinks, which at least with my group is never a problem!) And for a group meal it's been excellent all around, with few complaints. This past year they gave us a deal for $35 a person (tip included) including 1 drink, salad, choice of 4 entrees, coffee & dessert--and we were able to add appetizers off their regular menu with no problem at all (god I love their grilled calamari).

Just don't take our group's mid-December Saturday night. :raz:

sockii

| South Jersey Foodie |

Davio's is probably a good choice, I think.

Osteria can probably do a group that size, but I've heard mean things about their pricing.

It strikes me that somewhere in the Garces Empire there have to be accomodations that would serve: it's just too big a potential revenue stream for a smart man like Jose Garces to ignore. Maybe he'd even be able to cordon off one of the areas at Tinto, like downstairs or the Sansom St. side?

I know your people said they're getting bored of hotels, but does that include the foodier hotel restaurants? I know that the Fountain and Lacroix could do it, and I I'd bet my third-from-the-bottom dollar that XIX could as well.

And there have been a slew of steakhouse openings, mostly in very large spaces... Somewhere in the steakhouse universe, there are restaurants hurting for business, I would think. Might take a bit of creativity to make it happen, but...

It strikes me that somewhere in the Garces Empire there have to be accomodations that would serve: it's just too big a potential revenue stream for a smart man like Jose Garces to ignore. Maybe he'd even be able to cordon off one of the areas at Tinto, like downstairs or the Sansom St. side?

Or somewhere on the vast premises of Distrito?

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

I know your people said they're getting bored of hotels, but does that include the foodier hotel restaurants? I know that the Fountain and Lacroix could do it, and I I'd bet my third-from-the-bottom dollar that XIX could as well.

The dinners have been at the Four seasons for a long time (in 2 of the event rooms) and the first thing I did was check Lacroix and Osteria but they are not large enough in capacity.

I like the idea of Davios or a steakhouse. Most of these folks are not that bold - I fear Garces fare would go over like a lead balloon.

Dough can sense fear.

What night of the week did you want to do this? The upstairs at Chick's can handle about 45 for a sitdown or 60 or so for standing room and cocktails. If you wanted to take over the whole place, you should call and talk to Chef Jim about a buyout. On a weekend night that might be cost prohibitive, but on a slower night of the week it might be feasible.

Why don't you PM me and I'll see what I can find out for you...

edited to add...

D'oh! I just saw you stated on a Saturday. It is tough to close a place down entirely, but I'm certain if the revenue were there, any restaurateur would be accomodating. A bird in the hand... :wink:

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

What is that Italian restaurant on Front St. at Chestnut?

Not the one near Market...It's on the north corner of Front & Chestnut.

They have this huge room next to the main dining room.

When you go back to the bathroom you see it, it's really a big room, always looks unused.

Plenty of parking on the bridge.

Philly Francophiles

We had holiday lunches at Spasso two years in a row a few years ago with a group. The first time it was very good, lots of food for the money, and the food was decent. The second time they were less generous with the food. The noise level was high there as I recall.