• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adapting (Mirror) glaze

afoodie

I have tried different (mirror) glaze recipes from Enric Rosich, Paco Torreblanca, Pierr Herme....with gelatin, X58Pectin etc, most off them i find to thick, they tend to set too quickly especially when used to glaze frozen cakes.

Here is a recipe by Ramon Morato

Milk Chocolate glaze:

600 g cream 32%fat

200 g water

180 g sugar

4 g pectin X58

220 g glucose syrup

1400 g milk chocolate

16 g gelatin

He suggest to use the glaze at 30C, but as i said it sets to fast, i tried with more cream an its better, what do you think is best way to alter glaze recipes, put less gelatin, less pectin or add more cream like I did?

I don't know the answer you're looking for. I've adopted the glazes from Dejaq's demo and use them almost exclusively now but they do require quick and decisive action on frozen bases. No more so than any other I've used though. I've attempted modifications to increase working time with glazes in the past but was never happy with the results. I got more time to play but also got sagging (and, in extreme cases, tearing) on the final product after thawing. I've decided I'd rather just work on my speed instead. Nothing worse than checking on carefully constructed items thawing in the cooler and seeing glaze drooping down the sides or detaching.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I have tried different (mirror) glaze recipes from Enric Rosich, Paco Torreblanca, Pierr Herme....with gelatin, X58Pectin etc, most off them i find to thick, they tend to set too quickly especially when used to glaze frozen cakes.

Here is a recipe by Ramon Morato

Milk Chocolate glaze:

600 g cream 32%fat

200 g water

180 g sugar

4 g pectin X58

220 g glucose syrup

1400 g milk chocolate

16 g gelatin

He suggest to use the glaze at 30C, but as i said it sets to fast, i tried with more cream an its better, what do you think is best way to alter glaze recipes, put less gelatin, less pectin or add more cream like I did?

afoodie,

At one of the last patisseries I worked at, we would glaze 3in to 6in entremets in milk and noir glazes. We developed a couple of different recipes to suit different temperatures. When the entremet was frozen, I used a glaze comprised only of water, glucose, cocoa powder, gelatin and cream. The benefits of using this glaze on frozen pieces is that there are no fat solids (like cocoa butter from your 1400g of milk chocolate) to "block" when met with the freezing temperatures. Also, because there is no chocolate, I found that a good workable temperature for me would be hovering around 35C-- which may be a little too warm for the ingredients in your Morato recipe. I hope this helps.

I've worked with a cocoa and gelatin based glaze (thanks Rob!) and it's easy to make, easy to work with, looks nice and doesn't taste bad (though not as good as the glazes with chocolate in my opinion) but I don't love the texture. Sort of a cocoa jello thing. The only way I can use it and be happy is to work really quickly to keep it as thin as possible, then the jello feel isn't as pronounced. One upside to that type of glaze is that, once it sets for a minute on the frozen/cold item, if you don't like the way it looks, you can peel it off without damage to anything underneath and do it again.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to do a white mirror glaze and I've done it before but I can't find my formula. Does anyone have one handy? Also, I want to spray it on - I know I'll lose the effect of spraying but I want to use a stencil for design. Has anyone sprayed a mirror onto a frozen dessert?