• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When life gives you lemons...

sadie4232

I often make recipes that call for the zest of lemons (limes, oranges, etc.), but not the juice. I hate to waste the unused fruit and wanted to know if I could juice the lemon and save it for a future use. Would it keep in the fridge like store-bought lemon juice? Conversely, can you refrigerate or freeze the zest?

The Wright Table

Becoming a better home cook, one meal at a time.

You could keep it in the fridge, but why not pour it into an ice cube tray and freeze it - think of the possibilities of putting it in drinks! I'm in the same boat right now so I've been in lemon curd heaven. I just canned a dozen jars of it last night. I had the juice because I just candied all of that rind.

Edited by gfron1 (log)

Every spring I zest and squeeze two cases of lemons and freeze them in liter deli containers. The zest freezes just fine. If you're not using big batches up at once, I'd follow Rob's advice and freeze the juice in cubes. The zest can be frozen all together, it's easy to break it up as you need it.