• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I have been reading the posts here for about a year now, and i have fully enjoyed everyones' input, and wealth of knowledge. To everyone in a word, thanks.

I have a question which i have no idea about, how to make kosher chocolates.

A friend of mine who works for a caterer says if i could make some it could be a great market to cater to, so to speak.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

great tip , i'll avoid bacon, lol

and I looked at the website, but they only sell the kosher chocolates, no tips, much thanks though

Well actually on their website they actually say all their ingredients are strictly kosher... and they have a rabbi that oversees the operation...

Which is what is required to have a kosher product...

Top Chef Hung runs a kosher restaurant and they are strict... You even need a Rabbi to TURN YOUR STOVE ON!!! can you belive it!!! how kosher is that?!?!?!?!? does me turning the knob make it any less kosher then you turning the knob??!?!?!

I may be in the gutter, but I am still staring at the stars.

Making kosher chocolate (confections) isn't necessarily difficult. You must have a set of pots, tools, etc. which are ONLY used with milk products (e.g. NOT meat). The difficult part is that you must have your kitchen declared kosher by an appropriate rabbi or work in an existing kosher kitchen.

I've made chocolates and had them refused by folks who keep kosher because there were unsure if all my tools, etc. were only used for this one purpose.

I would suggest you find a local synagogue and talk to the rabbi there.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Some of the chocolatiers here on eG make use of church kitchens to produce their chocolates. I wonder if renting time in a synagogue kitchen would make it easier to have your chocolates certified kosher.

I think Lebowit's advice to talk to the rabbi would be a great way to start. I know I'd have a whole lot to learn before I would be comfortable knowing that something I'd produced would meet kosher certification.

After Fat Guy's problem with finding Kosher Marischino for his preschool event - I went on a little online search for Kosher liqueurs - they exist - but not every liqueur seems to be represented.

What chocolate has anyone found that is kosher?

A Rabbi isn't required to supervise kosher production, a mashgiach is. And a mashgiach may or may not be a rabbi.

Second, it depends on where you are and who you want your market to be. Different supervising boards will have different rules about where you can produce them and what you can use. You could ask a local rabbi, or you could ask the local hashgacha (supervising board).

Where are you located?

The basics are:

• Everything you use must be kosher -- have a kosher hechsher or marking on it
  • The facility you work in must be supervised by a mashgiach -- or a mashgiach must be willing to work with you in a non-kosher facility
  • Working in a non-kosher facility, you will need separate equipment, and depending on what goes on there, the mashgiach may have to 'kasher' things like the stove or worktops (using a blow-torch or boiling water)
  • If you work in a non-kosher facility, you will most likely not be able to do any production without the mashgiach being on hand
  • Again, depending on who is supervising, you might have to make a choice between dairy or non-dairy chocolate -- if you choose dairy, all items, even those containing no dairy may be considered dairy - and if you go parve, then you are limited to all non-dairy
  • Not all items deemed kosher by one organization is considered kosher by all of them

I'm sure I'll think of more things. But if you let us know where you are, I can put you in touch with the right organization.

Edited by Pam R (log)

And don't forget, the "mashgiach" = surpervisor costs and he supervises either daily or weekly or periodically, depending on him. He will check that everything you use down to the orange oil or liqueur, is kosher. If all your chocoalte etc is kosher then a synagogue kitchen would be legal according to kosher law-but the dairy side=it would be dairy kosher-no meat.

Good luck!

And some synagogues will have an in-house mashgiach to work with - others will still require a mashgiach from the local authority, usually paid by the hour on top of your monthly fee. This kosher business can be quite complicated.

Again, the process will vary depending on where you are and who supervises you. We were under va'ad supervision for over 20 years, but had to have other supervision if we worked in different synagogues.

Lior, do you find it hard to find the ingredients you need with a hechsher? Is it easier or harder because you're in Israel?

• Similar Content

• By Kasia
      MILLET GROATS CHOCOLATE CREME WITH CRANBERRY MOUSSE

Today I would like to share with you the recipe for the best chocolate crème I have ever eaten. It is thick, smooth and very chocolaty in flavour and colour. Despite the chocolate, the dessert isn't too sweet. But if somebody thinks that it is, I recommend serving it with slightly sour fruit mousse. You can use cherries, currants or cranberries. You will make an unusually yummy arrangement and your dessert will look beautiful.

My children were delighted with this dessert. I told them about the fact it had been made with millet groats after they had eaten it, and ... they didn't believe me. Next time I will prepare the millet groats crème with a double portion of ingredients.

Ingredients (for 4 people)
      chocolate crème
      100g of millet groats
      200g of dark chocolate
      1 tablespoon of dark cocoa
      250ml of almond milk
      fruit mousse
      250g of fresh cranberries
      juice and peel of one orange
      half a teaspoon of grated ginger
      4 tablespoons of brown sugar

Boil the millet groats in salty water and drain them. Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie. Blend the millet groats, chocolate, cocoa and milk very thoroughly until you have very smooth crème. Pour the milk in gradually to make the right consistency of your desert. Prepare the fruit mousse. Put the washed cranberries, ginger, juice orange peel and sugar into a pot. Boil until the fruits are soft. Blend. Put the chocolate crème into some small bowls. Put the fruit mousse on top. Decorate with peppermint leaves. Serve at once or chilled.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Lisa Shock
      The basic formula for these cakes was developed by the wife of a mayonnaise salesman in an effort to help him out. I did a bit of research, and have found many variations. Early variants generally involve using less cocoa, which I cannot recommend. Later variants involve using cold water instead of boiling, adding salt, and additional leaveners. I personally do not feel that any additional salt is needed, as mayonnaise and that famous, tangy brand of salad dressing (sometimes the label just says 'Dressing') both contain a fair amount of salt. If you are using homemade mayonnaise or a low sodium product, an eighth teaspoon of salt may boost the flavor a bit. And, of course, somewhere along the way fans who prefer a certain salad dressing over mayonnaise started using it to make this cake. Nowadays, the Hellman's website has a different formula -one with added eggs and baking powder. I have not tried this newer formulation.

Some versions of this recipe specify sifted cake flour. This will result in a very light cake with virtually no structural integrity, due to the paucity of eggs in this recipe compared to a regular cake. Cupcakes made this way give beautifully light results. However, every time I try to make a traditional 8" double layer cake with cake flour, I experience collapse. I recommend AP flour or at least a mix of cake and pastry flour.

I have never made this with a gluten-free flour replacer. This recipe does not have very much structural integrity and as such does not make a good candidate for a gluten-free cake.

I have made this cake many times, the type of sandwich spread you choose will affect the outcome. Made with mayonnaise, the cake has a good chocolate flavor and moistness. Made with that famous, tangy, off-white salad dressing that gets used as a sandwich spread, the cake has a subtle bit of extra brightness to the flavor. If one chooses to use a vegan mayonnaise, the result is tasty but lacking a little in structure; I would bake this in a square pan and frost and serve from the pan.

The cocoa you use will also affect the flavor.  For a classic, homey flavor use a supermarket brand of cocoa. To add a little sophistication, use better, artisan type cocoa and use chocolate extract instead of the vanilla extract.

Supposedly, the traditional frosting for this cake should have a caramel flavor. Look for one where you actually caramelize some sugar first. Modern recipes for the icing seem like weak imitations to me; using brown sugar as the main flavor instead of true caramel.

Chocolate Mayonnaise or Salad Dressing Cake
      makes enough for two 8" round pans, or a 9" square (about 7 cups of batter)

2 ounces/56g unsweetened, non-alkalized cocoa
      1 cup/236g boiling water
      1 teaspoon/4g regular strength vanilla extract
      3/4 cup/162g mayonnaise, vegan mayonnaise, or salad dressing (the tangy, off-white, sandwich spread type dressing)
      10.5ounces/300g all-purpose flour
      7 ounces/200g sugar
      0.35ounce/10g baking soda

Preheat your oven to 350°.
      Grease or spray two 8" round pans or an equivalent volume square or rectangle.
      Place the cocoa in a medium (4-5 cup) bowl. Add the hot water and stir with a fork to break up any clumps. Allow to cool down a little,  then add the vanilla extract and the mayonnaise or salad dressing spread. Beat well to eliminate lumps. In the bowl of an electric mixer or larger regular bowl if making by hand, sift in the flour and add the sugar and baking soda. Mix the dry ingredients to distribute evenly. Slowly beat in the cocoa mixture. Mix until the batter has an even color. Pour immediately into the pans. If making two 8" rounds, weigh them to ensure they contain equal amounts.
      Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until the center of the top springs back when touched lightly. (The toothpick test does NOT work well on this moist cake!) Allow the cake to cool a little and shrink from the sides of the pan before removing. Removal is easier while still a little warm.
      Good with or without frosting.
      Good beginner cake for kids to make.

• By Kasia
      I prepared two versions: the first one with desiccated coconut and blueberries and the second with dark chocolate and strawberries. Choose your favorite dessert or go crazy and make your own version.

Bright dessert

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      200g of white chocolate
      100g of blueberries
      200ml of 30% sweet cream
      200ml of mascarpone cheese
      2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut

Melt 150g of the white chocolate in a bain-marie. Draw six 8 cm circles on a sheet of baking paper. Put 2-3 tablespoons of chocolate on each of them and smear it around to cover the whole circle. Leave them at room temperature to congeal and then put them in the fridge for 2 hours. Melt the rest of the white chocolate in a bain-marie. Whisk the cream. Add the mascarpone cheese after whisking. Add the white chocolate and the desiccated coconut and stir thoroughly. Wash the blueberries and drain them. Put the first chocolate circles onto a plate, then a layer of the cream and a couple of blueberries and once again chocolate, cream and blueberries. Put the last chocolate circle on the top. 
      Decorate with the rest of the cream, fruit and peppermint leaves. Serve chilled.

Dark dessert

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      200g of dark chocolate
      1 tablespoon of cocoa
      a couple of strawberries
      200ml of 30% sweet cream
      200ml of mascarpone cheese

Melt 150g of the dark chocolate in a bain-marie. Draw six 8cm circles on a sheet of baking paper. Put 2-3 tablespoons of chocolate on each of them and smear it around to cover the whole circle. Leave them at room temperature to congeal and then put them in the fridge for 2 hours. Melt the rest of the dark chocolate in a bain-marie. Whisk the cream. Add the mascarpone cheese after whisking. Add the dark chocolate and the cocoa and stir thoroughly. Wash the strawberries and remove the shanks. Leave 3-4 nice bits of fruit for decoration, and cut the rest into small pieces. Put the first chocolate circles on a plate, then a layer of the cream and a couple of strawberry pieces and then once again chocolate, cream and strawberries. Put the last chocolate circle on the top. Decorate with the rest of the cream, fruit and peppermint leaves. Serve chilled.

• By Kasia
      Chocolate cake with plums

The first cake I ever dared to bake by myself was a chocolate cake. I have since baked it many times, always using the same recipe, and many times I have spoiled it at the beginning of preparation. It is necessary to cool down the chocolate mixture before adding the rest of the ingredients. On a hot summer day this process is very long, so I accelerated it by putting the pot with the mixture into some cold water in the kitchen sink. Many times, by mistake, I turned on the tap and poured water onto the cooling mixture. In hindsight these situations were amusing, but at the time it wasn't funny.

This chocolate cake is excellent without any additives. You can enrich it with your favourite nuts or butter icing. Today I added some plums to the top of the cake. It was great and its sweet chocolate-plum aroma lingered long in my home.

Ingredients (25cm cake tin):
      200g of flour
      150g of butter
      3 tablespoons of cocoa
      120g of brown sugar
      15ml of almond milk
      100g of dark chocolate
      1 egg
      1 teaspoon of baking powder
      plums

Heat the oven up to 180C. Smooth the cake tin with the butter and sprinkle with dark cocoa.
      Put the butter, milk, sugar, cocoa and chocolate into the pan. Heat it until the chocolate is melted and all the ingredients have blended together well. Leave the mixture to cool down. Add the egg, flour and baking soda and mix them in. Put the dough into the cake tin. Wash the plums, cut them in half and remove the stones. Arrange the plum halves skin side down on top of the cake. Bake for 50 minutes. Sprinkle with caster sugar before serving.

Enjoy your meal!

• By paulraphael
      Brown Butter Muscovado Chocolate Chip Cookies
      Serves 16 as Dessert.
      These are for when you want to savor a cookie with depth, flavor, and a thick and chewy texture. If you just need to pacify the kids or cure some late night munchies, use the recipe on the package of chips. It's cheaper and less trouble!
      Key elements include browned butter, muscovado sugar, and a small portion of whole grain oat flour (which you can make). The method is also important. The butter is melted, not creamed while solid, and the cookies are thoroughly chilled before baking. Oven temperature is also higher than what's typical.
      You'll also notice a relatively low proportion of chocolate chips. Before you accuse me of heresy, allow me to defend this choice. The cookie itself actually tastes good. This is the one dessert I make with chocolate where the chocolate is not the main event. I didn't want huge amounts of chocolate, or intensely flavored dark chocolate, overwhelming the subtle flavors of the cookie. I've had good luck with Ghiradelli semi sweet chips, or coarsely chopped Callebaut 54% block. If you use chopped chocolate, try not to include too much chocolate dust and fine crumbs. They melt into the batter and turn it into something else.
      Recipe makes 16 to 18 big cookies

227 g (8 oz) unsalted butter
      1.8 g (1/2 tsp) nonfat dry milk (optional)
      240 g (2 cups mnus 3TB) AP flour
      80 g (3/4 cup) whole grain oat flour*
      6 g (1 tsp) salt
      4 g (1 tsp) double acting baking powder
      2 g (1/2 tsp) baking soda
      250 g (1-1/3 cup plus 1TB) light muscovado sugar**
      48 g (1/4 cup) granulated sugar
      1 egg
      1 egg yolk
      55 g (1/4 cup) whole milk
      10 g (2 tsp to 1 TB) vanilla extract
      170 g (1 cup) good quality semisweet chocolate chips

*Use food processor to mill whole oats (oatmeal) as fine as possible. This will take a few minutes of processing, with a few of pauses to scrape corners of work bowl with a spatula. sift out large grains with medium strainer. store in freezer in an airtight container.
      **If you have to substitute regular light brown sugar or another unrefined sugar, substitute the same volume, not the same weight. Turbinado sugar can substitute for the granulated sugar.
      -Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in nonfat dry milk (if using).
      -While butter is melting, stir together the flours, salt, baking powder, and baking soda and set aside.
      -Measure the sugars into a mixing bowl or a stand mixer's work bowl.
      -Brown the butter: bring to a simmer over medium to medium-low heat. Stir frequently, scraping the bottom, until milk solids brown and liquid butter takes on a rich golden brown color. It may foam up dramatically toward the end. Turn down heat and stir while the foam lightly browns. Don't let the solids turn dark brown or black! Overbrowning will turn the cookies bitter.
      -Immediately pour the melted butter into the bowl with the sugars. Mix on medium speed, until smooth (there may be some unincorporated liquid from the butter). Do not try to incorporate air.
      -Add the egg, yolk, milk, and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. This step can be done with a spoon, or with the mixer on low to medium speed.
      -Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. This step can be done with a spoon, or with the mixer's lowest speed.
      -Chill the dough for at least 4 hours (and ideally 12 to 24 hours) in an airtight container. If under 6 hours, spread dough thin against sides of bowl to speed chilling. If over 6 hours, pack dough tightly into the bottom.
      -Heat oven to 375 degrees F. with rack in the middle, or 2 racks in the top third and bottom third.
      -Scoop in round balls onto parchment-lined, room temperature sheet pans (heavy, rimless cookie sheets or upside down half-sheet pans are ideal), 6 cookies per sheet. I like a heaping scoop with a #20 disher: 1/4 cup / 60g - 70g dough per cookie. Chilled dough will be too stiff to form smooth balls, so don't worry if they're mishapen. Alternatively, if you have refrigerator space, you can form the balls before chilling, keeping them covered tightly with plastic wrap.
      -Bake for 14 minutes or until done, checking the cookies after 12 minutes. If necessary, rotate the baking sheets for even browning. If you make smaller cookies, reduce baking time. Keep dough and scoop refrigerated between batches.
      -They're done when they brown around the edges and begin to brown on top. If they cook more than this they'll dry out. Carefully slide parchment/cookies off of hot baking sheet and onto a cool surface (another rimless baking sheet or an upside down half-sheet pan work well) to cool for a couple of minutes. Try not to bump or bend them while transfering; this will cause them to flatten.
      -With a spatula, transfer to cooling racks. Cool thoroughly before storing in an airtight container. Flavor and texture are best after 12 hours. They keep for several days at room temperature if well sealed.
      High Altitude (these adjustments were tested at 6000 feet)
      -Increase flours by 8%
      -Increase milk by 40%
      -reduce sugars by 4%
      -Slightly reduce baking time
      Keywords: Dessert, Cookie, Intermediate, American, Chocolate, Snack
      ( RG2108 )