• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner After Matinee Show

davidbdesilva

Coming from Philly to see a show at the Beckett Theater on Dec. 13th (Chekov's The Black Monk) and then want to have dinner at a moderately priced restaurant serving very good food in at least a somewhat romantic setting. We will be spending the night in Manhattan and I am fairly familiar with the various areas. Proximity to the theater does NOT matter. BTW, I had my heart set on eating at Little Owl and called on Nov. 13th only to discover that they are closed that evening for a private event! That would have easily been my first choice.

I created a short list and would like help narrowing it down but am also open to other suggestions as well. As always, thank you Manhattan egulleters, you have NEVER steered me wrong!

Jarnac

Le Jardin Bistro

The Red Cat

The Harrison

Compass

Perilla

Allen & Delancy

The Orchard

ilili

Whatya' think???

Edited by davidbdesilva (log)

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

I have had several excellent meals at Perilla. The chef just left Allen & Delancey; I haven't heard anything about it since. I've enjoyed the Red Cat over the years, but I think right now I would go Perilla or The Harrison.

Thanks for the suggestions! This is somewhat surprising since I asked a similar question last year when we were visiting for Valentine's weekend and many people said The Harrison was "meh" (and btw, I like the use of the newest word put in the dictionary). Chef change? Any particular reason that it is "currently" terrific?

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."