• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dining in Houston

menon1971

I will be in Houston next week and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of a nice place for dinner. I am looking for something fine dining yet casual (although I will most likely be wearing a sport coat anyway), but most of all interesting (eccentric, eclectic, funky, etc.) and preferably with a good selection of seafood dishes. Thanks in advance.

I will be in Houston next week and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of a nice place for dinner. I am looking for something fine dining yet casual (although I will most likely be wearing a sport coat anyway), but most of all interesting (eccentric, eclectic, funky, etc.) and preferably with a good selection of seafood dishes. Thanks in advance.

I think Pesce at 3029 Kirby has excellent seafood. For a more casual setting try Goode Company Seafood at 2621 Westpark. Either restaurant will provide fine seafood and good service.

I think Pesce at 3029 Kirby has excellent seafood. For a more casual setting try Goode Company Seafood at 2621 Westpark. Either restaurant will provide fine seafood and good service.

Thanks. What is the style of cuisine?

REEF is another option for innovative, seafood-focused menu close to downtown. They've been on quite a roll with the awards in Houston. Check them out at: REEF.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Goode Co. Texas Seafood

Pesce

Another vote for Goode Co.  Seems to me what you're looking for. 

Everything recommended is inside the Loop 610.  What part of town will you be in?  Houston is very spread out.

I will be in the Southwestern area. I have been to Houston before and I don't begin to understand the vastness of the city.

Thanks. What is the style of cuisine?

http://www.goodecompany.com/pdf/sea1_menu_02_sm-1.pdf

This is a link to their menu.

I made a reservation at Pesce and will let you know my impression. Thanks for all of the advice.

I'm sorry but isn't Pesce owned by Landry's? Food might be good but cmon, its Tilman owned. Its not funky, unique or eccentric.

I say Reef. Its local owned, funky in a contemporary way and very good focus on local/fresh.

Or if you really want to be different go to Tampico on Airline on the near north side of town. Get the whole snapper and enjoy one of the best dishes in Houston. Its unique, funky and ecclectic. Not fine dining though.

I made a reservation at Pesce and will let you know my impression. Thanks for all of the advice.

I'm sorry but isn't Pesce owned by Landry's? Food might be good but cmon, its Tilman owned. Its not funky, unique or eccentric.

I say Reef. Its local owned, funky in a contemporary way and very good focus on local/fresh.

Or if you really want to be different go to Tampico on Airline on the near north side of town. Get the whole snapper and enjoy one of the best dishes in Houston. Its unique, funky and ecclectic. Not fine dining though.

Yes, Fertitta bought Pesce from Damian Mandola and Johnny Carabba. It would not fit the funky or unique criteria! I also agree with your suggestion about Tampico. Their red snapper is one of the presentations of red snapper anywhere,

If you have the time to fight through inner-loop traffic, I enjoyed Hugo's on Westheimer near Montrose (I think). A good brunch, with a wide selection of Mexican foods (as opposed to Tex-Mex), but, more important, a chance to work your way through flights of good tequilas, and try a wide variety (just don't bring your car).

I'm also partial to the old Ragin Cajun on Richmond, inside the 610 Loop. It's not fine dining, but they do what they do well.

My last Houston trip was more than half a year ago, but there were a lot of good recommendations from people on places to try (especially with other peoples' money).

Cheers,

Peter

Something came up at the last minute and I had to cancel the reservation at Pesce. Did go to Goode Co. for lunch and it was as advertised - good simple seafood prepared well. Just curious, where do Texas folks get their oysters. They were more flavorful than the Apalachicola oysters I usually get in AL.

If I find myself back that way I will definitely check our Reef.

Thanks again.

Something came up at the last minute and I had to cancel the reservation at Pesce. Did go to Goode Co. for lunch and it was as advertised - good simple seafood prepared well. Just curious, where do Texas folks get their oysters. They were more flavorful than the Apalachicola oysters I usually get in AL.

If I find myself back that way I will definitely check our Reef.

Thanks again.

Glad you enjoyed it. I'm not sure where Goode Co. gets their oysters under normal circumstances but given Jim Goode's pride in things Texan I would guess Galveston or Matagorda Bay. Circumstances are not normal, however. This is the only thing I've seen on the oyster industry since Ike. I've been told the best oysters from Texas waters are from Smith Point on Galveston Bay and I've found them to be very good.