• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ganache, genoise & cake bands

devlin

I'm wanting to use a ganache over a chocolate genoise. I'm assuming I should freeze first, but should I use anything between the genoise and the ganache?

Also, because I want to put a chocolate band around the thing, will it work to pour the ganache first and then to band? Or should I band first and then pour the ganache on top?

You don't need anything between genoise and ganache, unless you specifically want to smooth the surface with a crumb coat of, say, buttercream. There's also syrup for your genoise (depending on the recipe), but I assume you're not referring to that.

You also don't need to freeze the genoise, unless you want to for ease of handling or application.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I'm using a soaking syrup between layers. And I did wonder whether a buttercream crumb coat would add anything beneficial. I had thought freezing would be the best bet before coating with a ganache, but no?

My opinion is that its not necessary. You've already got a genoise which is a bit sturdier than moist cake. Just chill and make sure your ganache is loose enough to spread easily. My other thought is that freezing could lead to some condensation issues, so again...not necessary nor worth the risk.

I'm using a soaking syrup between layers. And I did wonder whether a buttercream crumb coat would add anything beneficial.

Well, it would add flavor, but isn't a must unless you are having problems with loose crumbs.

I had thought freezing would be the best bet before coating with a ganache, but no?

Again, not a must unless it is more convenient for you, or if you are having problems with loose crumbs.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Are you pouring warm ganache over the cake as a glaze, or spreading on thicker ganache as frosting? If I'm pouring ganache, I usually do a layer of buttercream and chill pretty well before finishing, but I wouldn't do that if I'm spreading on swirls of whipped ganache.

As for the band, I'd ice the cake first so the band has something to stick to. Maybe a thin layer of buttercream, wrap the band, then glaze the top?

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

Thanks to you all, and those are exactly the sorts of issues I'm addressing -- loose crumbs, and also wanting to simply have a thin glaze, nothing to swirl.

I'll let you know how it goes.

when I want thin, I do a mirror glaze (HERE). It might be more showy than you want, but its fast, easy and near flawless. And for this technique, you get the prettiest results with a layer of buttercream as your base, and frozen.

when I want thin, I do a mirror glaze (HERE).  It might be more showy than you want, but its fast, easy and near flawless.  And for this technique, you get the prettiest results with a layer of buttercream as your base, and frozen.

That's exactly what I want. Yes, thank you. I'm experimenting increasingly with torted cakes and with torted, banded cakes, which has been going pretty well, but I'm wanting a showy finish like that for the top. I'll keep you posted how it goes, if it does.

Thanks a bunch.

Edited by devlin (log)