• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

boilsover

boilsover

11 hours ago, paulraphael said:

The link you cited really just showed generic information on the behavior of a bunch of sanitizers. It doesn't address the measured performance of any of them when sanitizing produce (you can read the same descriptions of these chemicals, practically word-for-word, referring to their performance on nonporous surfaces).

Here's an FDA study analysis that directly addresses sanitizers on produce. This is the only one I could find that even addresses peroxide. It's not surprising that H2O2 isn't so popular; It's effectiveness is spotty, and it causes browning of some vegetables, bleaching of others. 

Excerpts of shortcomings:

"Treatment of whole cantaloupes, honeydew melons, and asparagus spears with 1% H2O2 was less effective at reducing levels of inoculated salmonellae and E. coli O157:H7 than hypochlorite, acidified sodium chlorite or a peracetic acid-containing sanitizer (Park and Beuchat 1999).""

"Use of a 1% H2O2 spray on alfalfa seeds and sprouts did not control growth of E. coli O157:H7 (Taormina and Beuchat 1999b)."

"... however, obvious visual defects were noted on the treated lettuce."

None of this is damning. It appears to be safe to use. But it's also only marginally effective, and can discolor food. If I were looking for a produce sanitizer, I'd keep looking.

Thanks.  I wonder how/why they picked 1%.

Somehow we morphed from "NO! NO one EVER uses it!!!" and "APPALLED", to "It's not the best."  I never said H2O2 was the best for rinsing vegetables.  Yet It clearly has some efficacy as a sanitizer.  And it is a good general-purpose household chemical to have on hand for many uses.  If it's what you have, and it has efficacy, it's hard to get to the shrill "APPALLED".

Just so folks can see what FDA says about H2O2's efficacy:

"Use of H2O2 on whole and fresh-cut produce has been investigated in recent years. Salmonella populations on alfalfa sprouts were reduced approximately 2 log CFU/g after treatment for 2 min with 2% H2O2 or 200 ppm chlorine (Beuchat and Ryu 1997). Less than 1 log CFU/g reduction was observed on cantaloupe cubes under similar test conditions. Treatment with 5% H2O2 bleached sprouts and cantaloupe cubes. Treatment of whole cantaloupes, honeydew melons, and asparagus spears with 1% H2O2 was less effective at reducing levels of inoculated salmonellae and E. coli O157:H7 than hypochlorite, acidified sodium chlorite or a peracetic acid-containing sanitizer (Park and Beuchat 1999). Use of a 1% H2O2 spray on alfalfa seeds and sprouts did not control growth of E. coli O157:H7 (Taormina and Beuchat 1999b). H2O2 (3%), alone or in combination with 2 or 5% acetic acid sprayed onto green peppers, reduced Shigella populations approximately 5 log cycles, compared to less than a 1-log reduction by water alone (Peters 1995). In the same study, Shigella inoculated onto lettuce was reduced approximately 4 log after dipping in H2O2 combined with either 2 or 5% acetic acid; however, obvious visual defects were noted on the treated lettuce. The same treatment gave similar results for E. coli O157:H7 inoculated onto broccoli florets or tomatoes with minimal visual defects.

Microbial populations on whole cantaloupes, grapes, prunes, raisins, walnuts, and pistachios were significantly reduced upon treatment with H2O2 vapor (Sapers and Simmons 1998). Treatment by dipping in H2O2 solution reduced microbial populations on fresh-cut bell peppers, cucumber, zucchini, cantaloupe, and honeydew melon, but did not alter sensory characteristics. Treatment of other produce was not as successful. H2O2 vapor concentrations necessary to control Pseudomonas tolaasii caused mushrooms to turn brown, while anthocyanin-bleaching occurred in strawberries and raspberries. Shredded lettuce was severely browned upon dipping in a solution of H2O2. Combinations of 5% H2O2 with acidic surfactants at 50 °C (122 °F ) produced a 3 to 4 log reduction of non-pathogenic E. coli inoculated onto the surfaces of unwaxed Golden Delicious apples (Sapers and others 1999). Further research is necessary to determine the usefulness of H2O2 treatment on other fruits and vegetables."

boilsover

boilsover

The link you cited really just showed generic information on the behavior of a bunch of sanitizers. It doesn't address the measured performance of any of them when sanitizing produce (you can read the same descriptions of these chemicals, practically word-for-word, referring to their performance on nonporous surfaces).

Here's an FDA study analysis that directly addresses sanitizers on produce. This is the only one I could find that even addresses peroxide. It's not surprising that H2O2 isn't so popular; It's effectiveness is spotty, and it causes browning of some vegetables, bleaching of others. 

"Treatment of whole cantaloupes, honeydew melons, and asparagus spears with 1% H2O2 was less effective at reducing levels of inoculated salmonellae and E. coli O157:H7 than hypochlorite, acidified sodium chlorite or a peracetic acid-containing sanitizer (Park and Beuchat 1999).""

"Use of a 1% H2O2 spray on alfalfa seeds and sprouts did not control growth of E. coli O157:H7 (Taormina and Beuchat 1999b)."

None of this is damning. It appears to be safe to use. But it's also only marginally effective, and can discolor food. If I were looking for a produce sanitizer, I'd keep looking.

Somehow we morphed from "NO! NO one EVER uses it!!!" and "APPALLED", to "It's not the best."  I never said H2O2 was the best for rinsing vegetables.  Yet It clearly has some efficacy as a sanitizer.  And it is a good general-purpose household chemical to have on hand for many uses.  If it's what you have, and it has efficacy, it's hard to get to the shrill "APPALLED".

boilsover

boilsover