• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shelf Life of Salt

Shel_B

The box of Diamond Crystal salt in my kitchen is at least two years old, maybe even three or more. Will salt last indefinitely before losing any of its qualities? Might it absorb moisture, for example, and be less "potent?" Is there a preferred way to store it? Mine's just in the box it came in, set near the stove. Do different types of salt require different handling and storage techniques? Thanks!

... Shel

Unless it is contaminated with something, grease, chemicals, dirt, etc., it will last forever.

I have salt that I purchased at least twenty years ago and it is still just fine.

If you live in a damp or humid area, and the salt clumps or lumps, dry it in the oven and smash it until it is granular.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My box of Windsor table salt has sodium chloride, calcium silicate, sugar and potassium iodide. After a very long time -- like decades -- I could imagine the label might not accurately reflect the contents.

Then again, when the salt guy with one white glove shaves off a bit of Himalayan rock salt onto my entree, he's using a very old rock.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Sorry.  I have to ask...

Why do you have salt that is over twenty years old?

I have a "collection" of various salts. I posted photos of several of them in a thread about salt some time ago. I began collecting back in the days when it was difficult to find anything except Morton's.

I have an allergy or sensitivity to iodine so had to seek pure salts with no additives, in particular iodine.

A recent addition to my collection was purchased at gfron's shop, The Curious Kumquat, in Silver City, New Mexico. Balinese Sea Salt, a product of Big Tree Farms. In a cute little spherical box that I think is made from a polished coconut shell.

Scroll down about half-way on This Page to see some photos I posted in 2005

I have added to my "collection" since then.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett