• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Goumet-To-Go Containers

gfron1

Yesterday I was pushed into the next phase of my business - gourmet to go. I've already had items for folks to take home (sushi, lasagne, quiche), but now I'm going to have fully prepared meals that you can freeze, heat and eat. This was planned for January, but if the customers need it today, I'm game :)

Currently all of my containers are the compostable corn material which can't withstand heat. Does anyone know of a product that I can use that's reasonably priced?

Thanks.

If they can be freezed, they need to be cryovaced. Will you be doing that? Or hoping that they do? :wink:

Around here, the gourmet to-go packages of choice are coated paper boxes, flatter versions of the sorts you get from Chinese restaurants and sans the metal handle (not good for the microwave).

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I don't know how the price is (I don't know how much containers usually cost), but sometimes I see these kinds of containers being used in New York. They're definitely microwavable; I usually wash them and reuse at least a few times before I dispose of them. I'm not sure how they handle freezing, but the description on this site says that the minimum temperature it can withstand is 0 degrees Farenheit.

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Both are good options. I think I want a bit more upscale than takee outee boxes, but they would definitely meet my needs. The other containers are pretty well what I was thinking of, but now I wonder if there isn't something more unique. (I'm so picky!) Thanks for both leads however!

Some of those chocolate-maker-types here have put together some pretty nice paper-based packaging, which may fit your requirements? Have you looked over in P&B for ideas? Obviously they are usually going for a different style than even an upscale takeout container, but I bet the companies that they get their boxes from make stuff that may be more appropriate for your situation.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Hubert carries a lot of take-out containers. There ones go from freezer to microwave. I've never ordered these, but have ordered from the company several times and they give great service. We use a similar container for frozen dinners, but the ones we use can go into the microwave or oven (can't think of who makes them right now).

Both are good options.  I think I want a bit more upscale than takee outee boxes, but they would definitely meet my needs.  The other containers are pretty well what I was thinking of, but now I wonder if there isn't something more unique.  (I'm so picky!)  Thanks for both leads however!

I was working for a caterer in London( ON) and he sold lots of ready made frozen meals( its a huge part of his business). He used heavy duty foil containers that have a white paper lid.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's what I ended up with. These are corn material that are microwavable and oven-safe (new features for corn products). Top and bottom cost me .46 delivered which isn't too bad and is calculated into the final sell price. The lids aren't the most secure so I put warning labels on top (another .03). This has a Thai Chicken Curry with Jasmine in it. Thanks for the leads everyone!

gallery_41282_4708_16366.jpg