• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with catering a wedding reception

BertaBurtonLake

I have been asked and agreed to cater my friends' wedding reception for 100 people. I need help with quantities of food needed for the number of people attending. If those of you who have such experience could chime in with assistance in this area, I would be most grateful. Specific items I need help determining the amounts follow the menu.

Mini crab cakes with Remoulade sauce

Meatballs in sauce (has not been determined whether they will be lamb or beef or what sauce)

Whole braised mushrooms

Chicken skewers with different sauces

Sandwich bar with:

Cold Beef tenderloin

Turkey breast

Ham

various cheeses

various mayos and mustards

Cold poached salmon with condiments

capers

diced red onion

lemon or lime dill sauce

Shrimp cocktail with homemade sauce

shrimp and artichoke dip with pita points and water crackers

fruit skewers with dressing

creme de menthe brownie bites

lemon tarts

wedding cake

Specific questions: How many whole beef tenderloins will I need?

How many salmon fillets? What additional condiments than what I listed would you include? How many whole turkey breasts? How many meatballs (assuming a bite sized ball)?

The wedding is not until December 13, so I have some time to figure this all out, but though I would come to those who already know for the definitive answers!

Thanks,

Berta

Not a chef, but a catering FOH manager so I can't really help with portion specs...

When doing a full meal preceded by cocktails & hors we usually do an hour of passed hors d'oeuvres with a combo of 5-6 items and a total of 5-5.5 pieces per person. If you include the shrimp cocktail in with the other cocktail items you'll have enough variety (albeit no vegetarian option) and can just plan to prep heavy on the shrimp - they go the quickest. In fact, we often pass the shrimp, rather than placing them on a table to keep people from loading up thier plate.

If possible to staff it appropraitely, I would have the hors passed as it is a. more elegant (imho) and b. easier to control portions and therefore costs. But I would recommend having person to manage the staff and FOH so that you do not have to worry about that and also all the food presentation and cooking duties.

Your main menu looks like it is a bit heavy on protein and light on side dishes. I would definitley add 2-3 salads ( 1 garden, 2 composed) to round out the selection, and probably serve the fruit with the dessert items.

Good Luck!!!!

Consider planning using "ounces of protein/head." That way, you don't need to worry about number of tenderloins, turkey, etc, but total weight.

Depending on what time the wedding is (at a time that people would expect a meal vs. snacks) I would plan 6 pc/head for a lighter bite and up to 8-9 pc/head if it's a meal replacement.

I agree with Liz that your menu is very protein-heavy. To help with cost, cut back some and add in those salads.

Are you making the cake, too? If so, I'd lose the other desserts; you'll have enough on your plate (literally!), as it is. With wedding cakes being so expensive, you want to force the choice so the bride doesn't end up with a half-eaten cake.

For a deal like this, simpler might be better (and less messy, especially if folks are milling around while trying to eat). I think your condiment list is just fine. For the chicken skewers, do a sate-type peanut sauce, and maybe a hot blue cheese sauce (for a play on Buffalo wings).

Jenni

Pastry Methods and Techniques

Pastry Chef Online

"We're all home cooks when we're cooking at home."