• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Five wines

Florida Jim

2005 Castro, Dão Quinta da Pellada:

I don’t know the make-up of this wine but, if I were guessing, I’d say it included some of the port grapes; 13% alcohol; stains the glass purple-red; very enticing aromas of earth and dark fruit with a bloody meat note; extremely concentrated on the palate with smoke, meat, earth and fruit flavors that expand in the mouth and are intense and lasting; long, flavor-filled finish. Exceptional wine with lovely balance and all the intensity one could ask for. Unbelievably good with homemade mac and cheese. Could use time in the cellar but is good now.

1994 Laurel Glen, Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma Mountain:

This producer can make brett-bombs – it can also make really fine wine; this bottle is one of the latter; a very slight touch of brett accents black currants and some red fruit, even a little mineral thrown in; much the same in the mouth with excellent balance, good grip and a composed texture; a bit drying on the finish but its also juicy and long. Not a lot of bottle-bouquet and still some unresolved tannin, but this is quite attractive, reasonably complex and delicious with pizza. Drink or hold.

2002 Allemand, Cornas:

This wine is a good lesson in syrah and domestic producers should be listening; profound? Nope. Good? Yes, indeed. So they knocked the price down about 50% which, when you have the wine, makes you think that maybe they went low. Really good aromatics with both Cornas character and syrah markers; medium bodied and medium length – in between is an appealing, earth-driven, syrah based wine that fits easily into your pinot glass but satisfies as though it were from your Hermitage glass. I like it. And, I think it will last.

But if you’re looking for a tour de force or blockbuster; well, maybe not here.

Dinner this evening:

Fresh tomato, mozzarella, basil and olive oil salad:

2006 Chat. Grande Cassagne, Rosé Costières de Nîmes:

Starting to fall apart and letting a bit of alcohol show; iced it was fine and pretty nice with the dish. Drink now and serve very cold.

With stir-fry including a freshly picked cayenne pepper from our garden:

2001 Egon Müller, Riesling Kabinett Scharzhofberger:

The nose is light cream, well-water and Rainer cherry with an diesel/acetone note – very fresh and very young; the same elements on the palate with strong flint and some sour watermelon accents, huge acidity that carries the flavors through to the finish which is long and mouth-watering. Very little discernable sweetness but it soothes the cayenne heat nicely. So very young and unformed but showing great promise and real class. Hold at least 10 years. 8.5% alcohol and AP #142-3-02. Brilliant wine.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

2002 Allemand, Cornas:

This wine is a good lesson in syrah and domestic producers should be listening; profound? Nope. Good? Yes, indeed. So they knocked the price down about 50% which, when you have the wine, makes you think that maybe they went low. Really good aromatics with both Cornas character and syrah markers; medium bodied and medium length – in between is an appealing, earth-driven, syrah based wine that fits easily into your pinot glass but satisfies as though it were from your Hermitage glass. I like it. And, I think it will last.

But if you’re looking for a tour de force or blockbuster; well, maybe not here.

Would you say that Cornas as a whole fared ok in the 2002 Rhone weather problem? I've seen a few online whose prices did not reflect the overall poor quality of the vintage in that region and I wondered about it.

Thanks,

Andy

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman