• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Laid Back Bar For a Group

mexigaf

I know it's not a food post but I figured since you guys frequent manhattan you would have some ideas

I'm wondering If anyone knows of any fun bars in the area that accommodate a group. I'm looking for something hopefully a little less club like that maybe reasonable. I know its a vague question but i figured maybe someone would have some ideas.

TIA

My food and ideas CookDiegoCook

I know it's not a food post but I figured since you guys frequent manhattan you would have some ideas.

I'm wondering If anyone knows of any fun bars in the area that accommodate a group. I'm looking for something hopefully a little less club like that maybe reasonable. I know its a vague question but i figured maybe someone would have some ideas.

TIA

Perhaps you could be a little more specific, as "in the area" for Manhattan doesn't really nail down where you and your group are going to be or want to be. East Village, Soho, Midtown, etc. would really help.

Also, are you looking for a "bar," of which there are probably hundreds, or a place where well-crafted cocktails might be had at $12 - $15 a pop (BryanZ answered that question above).

Are you going out for a couple of hours at 6 PM, or do you want a place to spend the evening? A Monday night or a Friday or Saturday? Is a happy hour important (if so, I recommend The Magician, on Rivington between Essex and Norfolk - every thing is 1/2 price and an Anchor Steam is $3 till 8PM). An outside space - dba can handle that till 9:30 PM.

So, give up a little more info, and I'm sure you'll get lots of great suggestions here.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Hopefully somewhere downtown. We are spending the evening. Places like pegu and flatiron are out because we are 20 people . Happy hour would be nice as well. An outside place would be nice but not necessary .

Edited by mexigaf (log)

My food and ideas CookDiegoCook

(if so, I recommend The Magician, on Rivington between Essex and Norfolk - every thing is 1/2 price and an Anchor Steam is $3 till 8PM). An outside space - dba can handle that till 9:30 PM.

Totally agree with weinoo. I like the Magician for large groups and good prices and good jukebox.

dba is a good choice too, but it gets packed later at night. I've done large groups there, and come 9pm always have some regret on the choice.

Don't count flatiron out so quickly - I've done it with large groups - there's a front area that is reserveable.

Also might suggest Von . . . .

Totally agree with weinoo.  I like the Magician for large groups and good prices and good jukebox.

dba is a good choice too, but it gets packed later at night.  I've done large groups there, and come 9pm always have some regret on the choice.

Yeah, great jukebox at the Magician!

20 people is going to be hard at a lot of places, though there's a place on lower Orchard or Ludlow St. (the name escapes me, but Lucky something) that I'm sure can accommodate.

And, as daisy17 mentioned, don't count out Flatiron.

Where's Von - I'm sure I've been there, but my memory fails...

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Totally agree with weinoo.  I like the Magician for large groups and good prices and good jukebox.

dba is a good choice too, but it gets packed later at night.  I've done large groups there, and come 9pm always have some regret on the choice.

20 people is going to be hard at a lot of places, though there's a place on lower Orchard or Ludlow St. (the name escapes me, but Lucky something) that I'm sure can accommodate.

Lucky Jack's? On orchard, I think.

Von is on Bleecker off Bowery. It's cool and fairly mellow.

Lucky Jack's? On orchard, I think.

Von is on Bleecker off Bowery. It's cool and fairly mellow.

Yes, that's the one (Lucky Jack's, that is). And now I remember Von, cause it's right next to Bianca.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Is there an occasion? What sort of places do these people enjoy? Is your question just what bar can accomodate 20 people or is it are there any good bars that can accomodate 20 people? You might consider the Belgian Beer Bar or Zum Schneider, but I don't know if you have a cocktail or beer crowd. Certainly neither of those are clubby.

Zum Schneider would almost certainly be too packed...especially outside.

Lure for happy hour might be an idea.

or Art Bar (the back room).

Sweet and Vicious would work but it apparently just closed (per Gawker).

Which day of the week (that makes a huge difference)?