• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'm opening a restaurant...Oh S&%T!

gfron1

Rob--I don't recall you discussing menu changes too much, but at first you might want to consider limiting your menu to a few of the most popular dishes. Then as you become more accustomed to the work (and working hours), you can slowly add back the dishes you removed, and/or add new ones that reflect your style better. Keeping things simple, at least at first, will help you maintain at least a little part of your sanity when it gets crazy busy.

These are the brown butter muscovado chocolate chip cookies?

The NYTimes cookies have made my gf a major fan of me lately.  I'll have to try the hybrid.

Link recipe please. I can never make my wife love me enough.

I just made the chocolate chip cookies as found on the dining page of the NY Times, here

gfron1 is talking about using the brown butter muscovado chocolate chip recipe found here, but adding the aging technique found in the nytimes article.

Either way, your wife will be pleased. That is, if she likes chocolate chip cookies.

Mike is exactly right. Just make the RecipeGullet version and age in the cooler for 3 days.

I always do a double batch and as they cool and firm, I portion scoop them, push them into pucks then finish the chill. After the 3rd day I put them all in the freezer so I have dough for the week. 375F til done. I like my edges better on the un-aged versions but that caramely taste is outstanding with the aging.

Prasantrin - Chef has a really tight menu right now - lot's of ingredient overlap and efficiency, with virtually no waste. I'll cut back on some of the non-menu items, but I want the transition to appear seamless to the customer. I figure after a month I'll start bringing my items in - top of my list is a muffalata (do what you know and love). I think your advice is very good though and if I find that I can't keep the pace in the beginning, we may be out of a few things due to (fill in your excuse here).

Patrick A is at the national FCCLA competition right now in Orlando and he's my right hand intern/man. I'll be very glad when he gets back next week.

Its done. No more "normal" work. I can wear shorts whenever I want :)

Now my attention shifts to a big delivery I have going down today. Its a small town peril. I get my cheese out of San Fran. They delivered it to a flower distributor warehouse in LA (thanks to connections found in eG) yesterday. My trucker out of Houston arrives in LA any minute and will go to my Armenian distributor in Glendale. My chocolate (Qzina) will drop off early this afternoon, my soda (RealSoda) drops off just after that, and then the Armenians will load it up with my olives and such and get ready for the truck's arrival. The truck will stop by the flower warehouse first to get my cheese, then the consolidated pallet, then back east on I-10. I'll meet the truck around 4 am in Lordsburg (1 hour south) and get my stuff at the truck stop. Then I get to unload a 10' pallet of foodstuff. Its actually one of my favorite things to do - its like Christmas. The nervous part is that if any of those steps doesn't happen according to schedule, then the whole thing is off until my next order which is about 6 weeks from now.

But in the meantime, I'm off to relax in the mountains. Ciao til later!

Mike is exactly right.  Just make the RecipeGullet version and age in the cooler for 3 days. 

I always do a double batch and as they cool and firm, I portion scoop them, push them into pucks then finish the chill.  After the 3rd day I put them all in the freezer so I have dough for the week.  375F til done.  I like my edges better on the un-aged versions but that caramely taste is outstanding with the aging.

Prasantrin - Chef has a really tight menu right now - lot's of ingredient overlap and efficiency, with virtually no waste.  I'll cut back on some of the non-menu items, but I want the transition to appear seamless to the customer.  I figure after a month I'll start bringing my items in - top of my list is a muffalata (do what you know and love).  I think your advice is very good though and if I find that I can't keep the pace in the beginning, we may be out of a few things due to (fill in your excuse here).

Patrick A is at the national FCCLA competition right now in Orlando and he's my right hand intern/man.  I'll be very glad when he gets back next week.

Unfortunately a link I want to post isn't working that discusses vaccum sealing the dough as well. Do you preform the dough into a roll before sealing it so that you can make even slices? With a meat slicer you could slice while frozen.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

When I did it, I just put it in some tupperware. If you're not freezing them after aging them, they're still pretty easy to form.

In re the vacuum sealing, are you referring to the Ideas in Food post? Because I've been thinking about trying that out soon. It seems like you get the same effect without waiting...

When I did it, I just put it in some tupperware.  If you're not freezing them after aging them, they're still pretty easy to form.

In re the vacuum sealing, are you referring to the Ideas in Food post?  Because I've been thinking about trying that out soon.  It seems like you get the same effect without waiting...

Yes thats the one. Ideas in food.

When I did it, I just put it in some tupperware.  If you're not freezing them after aging them, they're still pretty easy to form.

In re the vacuum sealing, are you referring to the Ideas in Food post?  Because I've been thinking about trying that out soon.  It seems like you get the same effect without waiting...

Yes thats the one. Ideas in food.

Its funny Rob goes away for some down time and we hijack his thread. but not reallt since we are talking about his cookies.

My thought was that you could shape the dough into a roll, vaccum seal it and then freeze it until you want cookies.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)

I'm back ya buncha hijackers!

We've been loosely calling it "aging" but more accurately its hydrating.

The process sped up the process of moisture absorption, allowing us to create silky doughs with less liquid.This seemed similar to the process described in the article of allowing the flour to fully absorb the liquid from the eggs during it's resting period.

And I do agree that I believe freezing would stop the process we're trying to encourage. I did read the Ideas in Food post about it, and while it would save time, its not really an issue for me since I'm a week ahead of the game. Or my cheapo answer, why spend money on the vacuum bag if saran wrap will do?

I definitely shape before I freeze because I don't want to do anything more than I have to at 6 am. I pull them out, and throw them in the oven. Also, HERE is the link to their article. When you look at the picture of their cookie, its not the look nor texture that I want. Remember though that they are going straight from softened butter and I am going from melted butter. My texture is far more appealing to me.

(ETA: Actually I'm really happy that you did a bit of hijacking. This topic has become much more of a reporting out than the dialogue I had hoped for - so please do hijack away. Also, be sure to check out the Chocolate Chip Bakeoff topic.)

One of my goals for tomorrow at the farmers market is to up the percentage of locally raised foods. Then my plan is to make stickers or cards that will show what % of the food is locally sourced. I'll do the same with organics. I believe this will be a good marketing tool to draw customer loyalty. There is one fully organic/vegetarian restaurant in town, but the main complaint is that they have small portions and exorbitant prices.

I've also got a lot of baking to do tomorrow. Someone gave us a huge bucket full of apricots, a big bundle of rhubarb and some other vegetables. So I'll use this as a get-ahead on baking for Monday.

Blahooey! Nothing good at the farmers market and my egg ladies weren't there today! That's disasterous (not really, just means I need to go to the store). I'll have to check in with them because last year they had their flock taken out by a black bear, and we've been having mountain lion troubles this year, so I'm hoping alls okay.

I'm putting a sign up today to let customers know that we'll buy their produce. If they sell it to me at the same or better rate than my distributor, its a win-win.

You probably already know this, but if your egg ladies don't have eggs, check with your local feed store!

Our feed store buys lovely eggs from customers and has them in a fridge in the back. They are often of the colored varieties, blue/green/lavender. It's always fun opening the carton to see what jewels lie inside!

If they don't have eggs at the feed store, they can undoubtedly tell you where to get them.

I hadn't thought about them.  I'm going to push for locals to sell me their eggs too.

Check this out. Now there is a twist on coffee cake! Do you think you could turn that into something unique? Serve it hot to order.

It was a productive day - my goal is to get ahead on baking so I can focus on lunches and gourmet-to-go come Monday. I got one batch of the juniper berry sourdough in the cooler, and I'll do another batch tomorrow. Both will be baked Monday am. I did another batch of chocolate chip cookies - so I should have enough for over a week. They're aging until Mon or Tue. I did a test run at kumquat macarons - they turned out well but need some tweeking. I still think this would be a nice add-on if I can figure out how to do it without kumquats - I agree that I should rely on extracts. One big motive is I always have cups full of whites laying around.

I also cleaned and reorganized the kitchen and walk-in, including putting in two new wire shelves for my cheese. Those doubled my space!

And last, but not least, my order finally made it at 9:00 tonight, which meant dinner at 10:30. I don't know about the rest of you but I always have lot's of backorders, and so its always a crap shoot. Tonight I got a bunch of things that I didn't expect, and didn't get a few key items - my Demon du Midi which is my go-to brie, and in fact, the only brie I ordered - SHIT! I'll have to see if one of my food service distributors has anything decent that I can repack.

I'm off to bed, and I have a long, long list including shopping for Monday.

Rob---

I (like all others) have been reading this with avid interest, seeing where your dreams and guts are going to take you. I am so envious, I don't believe I could ever have the (fill-in-the-blank) to tell my 9-to-5-bill-paying-job to just go away so I could follow my heart, so I will revel in watching you do so.

Since tomorrow (it's still Sunday here in Southern California) is your "maiden voyage" I want to take the opportunity to wish you:

Bon Voyage

Viel Glück

Buona Fortuna

Bon Chance

Buena Suerte

Mazel Tov

and best best BEST wishes for the first day of your dream !

Like all the readers of this thread, I'll be there with you in spirit, and just know you'll knock it out of the park !

Congratulations ! (needing an exploding fireworks smilie here........)

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Thanks guys. Its 5:30 my time and I've been up since 3. Not nervousness, but had a bit too much vino at a friends last night (how Bourdain of me). I'll catch everything up tonight, but the brief run-down is that yesterday I finished cleaning and organizing - resetting the stations for one person instead of two. I moved things to places that my long arms will appreciate more than the kitchen of the munchkins. Then I baked, baked, baked. I wanted to get ahead of the game in that dept. I also had to put out the big order that came in on Saturday. Its nice to have my grape leaves back in stock and some new chocolates to play with (I got Chocoa at the recommendation of Qzina - seen the ads, but never used it), and a few new cheeses - but damn - they back ordered my brie and I forgot my Parmesan! How can someone forget the Parmesan!?

I'm a bit nervous about the baking. I sent our store newsletter out last week and the post office was quicker than usual. In the newsletter I talked about my baking and we were slammed on Saturday with folks asking for croissants and sourdough. My guess is that we'll have a line at 10 when we open. And my second guess is that we'll be sold out by 10:01.

The other fun thing that happened yesterday was someone at church said, "I heard you retired." Now, I just turned 40 a few months ago, but that's silly. I said, "If by retire you mean less money and more work, then yes, I did." But as I was thinking about it (in light of pierogi's comments) I thought, "If by retire you mean, quit the rat race to do what you love, then yes, I did." So here's to my first day of retirement! Can I have my social security now...please!

Quick note - someone earlier suggested asking my distributors if they do a price fix for a longer commitment. I thought that was a great idea and had never considered it before. I have asked, now we'll see what they say.

I'm off to turn on my ovens and go for a run!

gallery_41282_4708_31628.jpg

Today's the DAYYYY!! (breaking out the virtual champagne---Dom, of course---only the best for you)

I've been up since OUR five o'clock, and have read this thread start to finish---it's just so interesting and I'm there, right in that kitchen with the anticipation and the prep.

I have lots to comment on, the desserts and the sandwiches and my admiration for your stepping out into this new phase. I just wondered about the plate---I know it's a sampling, and neatly arranged, but will your staff be doing a stand-and-serve at the buffet, or will the guests be serving their own plates?

There's a big difference between a nicely-arranged dinnerplate, with an entree and two sides, and a plate of beans and brisket, especially when you've mentioned all the hearty appetites the couple expects to entertain.

Just from the beans standpoint---I've served beans of every description, to small groups and hundreds, and without exception, bowls are the order of the day. Your plate has a spoonful of nicely-drained, shining beans lying sedately, no juices or seeping to mar the other items on the plate. Self-service, or even extremely neat servers in a 150+ situation is going to give you a ladleful of juicy runoff which is better suited to a bowl. And using spoons with holes for drainage---that may prompt even the most mannerly guests to ask for "something to get the soup with."

Considering the price point of a pot of vegetarian beans, a serving thrice the size of the one on the plate (sample though it is) would still give you an abundance of a favorite item, without adding very much to the cost. The usual caterer's half-cup does not apply to pintos, nor to a pinto crowd.

And cornbread is always in order---pans and pans of crusty, lush cornbread, with or without add-ins of jalapeno or scallions or corn. And then there are the toppers: Bowls of diced sweet onion, green onion tops, a handy bottle of hot sauce or Tabasco---I even got a jaunty little pair of silver panties for the Tabasco because we served so much of it. These may be too redneck for your crowd, but if they're beans people, they know how they like to eat them.

And just one more thought: You said something on the order of "cleanup relating to the food, but not the cake." A canny customer could construe that to include ALL food cleanup, not just the clearing away and the packing up of leftovers and dishes. Tablecloth removal, table folding and chair hauling MAY be in the mind of the beholder---if it's not in yours, get it straight NOW, in the contract.

There WILL be tables and chairs, right? Leaving all the rentals and cleanup/haul (including the garbage, if it's such an out-of-the-way site) to the customer is a VERY good idea, but be sure it's not one of the unwritten expectations that will cause you a very late night and a lot of overtime for your staff.

Morel season here is short and sweet---are they dried/frozen/available to you in September?

And Sun Tea---gallons and gallons of golden tea, sparkling in the sun.

20 minutes after service and I have time to check in - only briefly though since I have to get going on my breads for tomorrow.

Well, it was the slowest day ever since we had a torrential downpour all through lunch. I think I made a dozen orders, almost all to-go. Now I have questions for you all...and answers to the questions above. But, I'm tired as a dog from lack of sleep. I'll come back after I'm done and get into the nitty gritty. BTW, my pan au chocolate were the best batch I ever made - I filled them with nutella!

BTW, my pan au chocolate were the best batch I ever made - I filled them with nutella!

I hate you for saying this. ;)

Oh, BTW, it's "pain", not "pan". Just in case.

For that matter, it's "au chocolat" not "au chocolate"! :biggrin:

True, but I've already mentioned that in a previous post in this thread. Didn't want to, you know, be a total pest about such things or anything.

BTW, my pan au chocolate were the best batch I ever made - I filled them with nutella!

I hate you for saying this. ;)

Oh, BTW, it's "pain", not "pan". Just in case.

For that matter, it's "au chocolat" not "au chocolate"! :biggrin:

True, but I've already mentioned that in a previous post in this thread. Didn't want to, you know, be a total pest about such things or anything.

Oops! I must've missed that post. :blush:

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara