• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipe Help: Lemon Whip

pamjsa

Yep. Ladies of the days of metal-ice-tray refrigerators knew how, all right. You took out one of your ice trays, pulled that tough little handle while the cubes CRRRRACKED their way free, and rinsed the tray in cold water to rid it of any stray ice shards, which might melt and dilute the essential balance of the ingredients. A good drying with a cup towel, and you were set.

Speaking of metal ice cube trays, why did we stop using them?

I love them!! They make the best, coldest, hardest ice that takes a long time to melt. I once sold a set of them on ebay for 26.00( paid 10 cents).

Get your hands on some, you wont be sorry.

Speaking of metal ice cube trays, why did we stop using them?

I love them!!  They make the best, coldest, hardest ice that takes a long time to melt.  I once sold a set of them on ebay for 26.00( paid 10 cents).

Get your hands on some, you wont be sorry.

Yeah, but don't forget to wear your gloves! :raz:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from a vacation with my husband's family. One of my first stops when I go there is always their local library, armed with my MIL's card so I can actually take things out. This time, I borrowed a cookbook called Grandma's Wartime Kitchen. Along with scads of recipes that would actually work for today's eaters, this book includes a few "Wartime Special" recipes. And one of the included Wartime Special recipes is for something called Whipped Evap, and the note says it was used in place of unavailable whipped cream.

Ingredients for this topping are:

1 tsp. unflavored gelatin

1 Tbsp. cold water

1 cup evaporated milk

1 tsp. vanilla extract

2 Tbsp. confectioners sugar

The directions are as you might imagine: bloom the gelatin in the water, heat 1/4 of the evaporated milk and use that to dissolve the bloomed gelatin, and then stir the hot gelatin/milk into the rest of the milk along with the vanilla. That sits in the fridge until it's well-chilled, and then it gets beaten with the sugar. The recipe says it can be covered and stored in the fridge, which kind of makes sense as the gelatin probably stabilizes it nicely.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2