• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemon, Basil cocktail

I had a wonderful lemon basil martini a few weeks back at a bar.  How would you recreate that at home?  Any other drinks you'd use that combo for?  I love the flavors together.

Thanks for starting this topic. I was thinking of starting a similar one because of a drink I had a while back that used basil, lemon and strawberries. It was gin based, too. Basically, a strawberry lemonade with some basil and with gin in it. Been thinking of trying to re-create it at home.

That combo seems to work well. I think it would still work without the strawberries, too.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Listen to Phil. He's right. The wonderful thing about Thai Basil (easily obtained at an Asian grocery) is that it has a slight minty-ness to it that really works in cocktails. Delicious with gin, vodka, or even cachaca. Works well with Plymouth gin in a Gin-Gin Mule too. :smile:

Try making a Thai Basil syrup by throwing a cup of Thai basil into two cups of boiling 1:1 simple syrup. Let the leaves blanch for just a minute or two and then turn off the heat and let it cool slightly. Buzz it through the blender in small batches (be VERY careful. Hot simple syrup expands exponentially in the blender container. Keep a kitchen towel held over the lid. I have cleaned simple syrup off my kitchen ceiling so I speak from experience) to expose maximum surface area and let cool overnight in the fridge. Strain carefully the next day and keep refrigerated.

The other component is either a lemon vodka (Hangar One Buddha's Hand Citron is my fave, Ketel One Citroen will do in a pinch) and some fresh lemon juice or some lemon cordial syrup. My recipe for lemon cordial is HERE in RecipeGullet.

2.5 oz. vodka/gin

.75 oz fresh lemon juice

.75 oz Thai Basil syrup

lemon cordial to taste depending on whether you're using flavored vodka or not.

Shake and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist or a spanked Thai basil leaf.

I recently was a winner at a local Bluecoat Gin Bartender Battle for the following drink. The bartending competition is what prompted me to standardize the recipe for the lemon cordial and actally write it down.

Front Stoop Lemonade

2 oz. Bluecoat

1 oz. Thai Basil syrup

1 oz. Lemon cordial

little splash fresh lemon juice

Build over ice in a Collins glass. Toss to mix, fill with soda and stir. Garnish with a lemon wheel.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I have Thai Basil growing in my backyard. How fortunate for me! Katie, your lemon cordial recipe looks really interesting. If I just muddled some basil and added lemon juice simple syrup to my vodka or gin, do you think I'd get a decent drink? I also have some homemade limoncello. Maybe I could mix in some of that with crushed basil leaves?

Yeah, I gotta say Italian Basil, like the sort used in Pesto Genovese, is the least interesting to me in cocktails.

Not sure if it is just my taste memory associating it with savory food, or if this is really the case....

But too much of it, and it really seems to give an unappealing savory aspect to a cocktail.

Try fatdeko's Rathbone Sour:

Get some simple syrup and lemon juice in a mixing glass, along with some Thai Basil and a slice (or 2) of cucumber.

Muddle till your heart is content. Or, If your anything like me, stop when it's all mashed.

Add Ice and pour Hendrick's Gin over the top. Something in the neighborhood of 2 ounces should do.

Don't forget to annoint with a few dashes of some bitters. Ango works well, as does Fee's. An additional dash or tow of ROB #6 is de rigeur.

Give the whole mess a good shaking and either strain into a pre-chilled cocktail glass or right over top some crushed ice in a DOF. If you've chosen the latter, go wild with the final flourish--a grate of nutmeg, or even long pepper or (my favorite) a pinch of smoked paprika.

About a half ounce of lemon and a quarter ounce of Rich Simple Syrup works for me. Your mileage may vary...

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I have Thai Basil growing in my backyard.  How fortunate for me!  Katie, your lemon cordial recipe looks really interesting.  If I just muddled some basil and added lemon juice simple syrup to my vodka or gin, do you think I'd get a decent drink?  I also have some homemade limoncello.  Maybe I could mix in some of that with crushed basil leaves?

Jean, I'm sure you could muddle your way to a perfectly delicious cocktail for home use. I have to think in terms of what saves me time and provides the easiest way to mix if I'm busy. I also like the depth of flavor and ease of use one gets with herbal simple syrups and that plays into my decision to make a lot of my own mixers for behind the bar.

The lemon cordial is sort of the homemade version of "Roses Lemon Cordial" if such a thing existed. It works really well both in cocktails and for nonalcoholic drinks like lemonade or as a splash in iced tea. Easy and versatile works behind the bar, and since it really doesn't take that long to make a batch that lasts at least a couple of weeks, is worth it for home use as well, IMO.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol