• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

J_Ozzy

J_Ozzy

additional info

2 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Would Galliano Vanilla be a workable substitute for Licor 43 in drinks? Even if not perfect, would it leave the drink in the general ballpark of what it should be? The LCBO used to stock Licor 43 but I didn't grab it and they no longer have it. They still list it so I can hope it will return at some point but for now...

It's a pretty noticeable difference.

Licor 43 is much more vanilla-forward in nose and body, and Galliano has wintergreen / herbal flavours that are much more prominent. Licor 43 is also a fair bit sweeter.

If Licor 43 is prominently featured in the cocktail, you're going to end up with something quite different from a balance and flavour perspective.

For example, a Tijuana Lady made with Galliano doesn't deliver the same experience as one made with Licor 43.

Tijuana Lady

1.5 oz Tequila

1 oz Licor 43

3/4 oz lime juice

2 dash Angostrura

They stock it in Alberta, if you have friends or family who might visit from out West; otherwise it's a suitcase import until it lists again.

J_Ozzy

J_Ozzy

additional info

Would Galliano Vanilla be a workable substitute for Licor 43 in drinks? Even if not perfect, would it leave the drink in the general ballpark of what it should be? The LCBO used to stock Licor 43 but I didn't grab it and they no longer have it. They still list it so I can hope it will return at some point but for now...

It's a pretty noticeable difference.

Licor 43 is much more vanilla-forward in nose and body, and Galliano has wintergreen / herbal flavours that are much more prominent. Licor 43 is also a fair bit sweeter.

If Licor 43 is prominently featured in the cocktail, you're going to end up with something quite different from a balance and flavour perspective.

For example, a Tijuana Lady made with Galliano doesn't deliver the same experience as one made with Licor 43.

Tijuana Lady

1.5 oz Tequila

1 oz Licor 43

3/4 oz lime juice

2 dash Angostrura

They stock it in Alberta, if you have friends or family who might visit from out West; otherwise it's a suitcase import until it lists again.

J_Ozzy

J_Ozzy

It's a pretty noticeable difference. Licor 43 is much more vanilla-forward in nose and body, and Galliano has wintergreen / herbal flavours that are much more prominent.  If Licor 43 is prominently featured in the cocktail, you're going to end up with something quite different from a balance and flavour perspective. For example, a Tijuana Lady made with Galliano doesn't deliver the same experience as one made with Licor 43.

Tijuana Lady

1.5 oz Tequila

1 oz Licor 43

3/4 oz lime juice

2 dash Angostrura