• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch on I-80

scordelia

Given the insanely high cost of airfare and the decidedly mediocre level of service one receives on an American airline, my family has decided to drive to Cape Cod from Chicago. We figure that we will be in Pennsylvania in time for lunch on I-80--probably more western PA than eastern. Does anyone have a fun lunch recommendation? We are at a loss since The Farmer In The Dell is no more.

We are looking for local and reasonably fast (no time for a four course gourmet lunch, must make it to Greenwich by evening). Quality burgers, sandwiches Amish--all good. Thanks! :smile:

S. Cue

The original Quaker Steak & Lube in Sharon, PA, is a hoot.

http://www.quakersteakandlube.com/default....Location=sharon

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Woof... talk about your culinary wasteland. Quaker Steak is probably your best bet, altho' I wouldn't hesitate to tell you to go about 15 minutes off the map to Austintown, OH (just a hair West of Youngstown) and pick up a Wedgewood pizza (Google it) for the road. Go for the Original Everything and take it with you. Mmmm... delicious strips of salami. (Cue Homer drool.) It's great hot but even better at room (or car) temp., but I don't think that pizza would make it to the border.

Edited to correct my directions. :wacko:

Edited by lesfen (log)

Ice House Inn in Austintown (just a couple hundred yards north of Exit 223 off I-80 in Ohio, just over the border from PA) is a loud, large, noisy, roadhouse. When I ordered a slab of ribs there a few years ago, I basically got a huge hunk of belly. If you're in the mood, makes for a great dinner stop. Just go straight to your motel room afterwards, depending on the number of beers you've consumed.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report