• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Upper-medium scale restaurants in Paris

olivier

Not unlike our dear host, I am looking for restaurants where one could have dinner for a set budget. However, I'm looking for something that would probably be pricier.

The thing is, I'm looking for a place to have dinner for my birthday. I'd like to be able to have some kind of a "splurge" dinner, but as I also have other plans than eating out this month, and considering that my budget is not unlimited, I guess the usual suspects like L'Arpège or L'Ambroisie, which I really intend to try this year, though, are out.

The ideal budget would be something around 300-400EUR, 500EUR even, for 2, all included. The idea is I don't want to think about what I order food- and wine-wise. I'm also looking for something more elaborate that the usual parisian bistrot.

The ideal restaurant may be something like Senderens, which I'm considering, but where I have already been.

I am also thinking about le Relais Louis XIII (I don't care how "old-fashioned" it might look, but haven't read much about it, especially about the food), Gerard Besson (which I wanted to save for game/truffle seasons, but as far as I know, there's no law against going back to the same restaurant several times), maybe l'Agapé... L'Astrance would be almost perfect, too, albeit a little bit pricier.

Any idea?

I second the idea of lunch. I know I've been told by various people that in a lot of restaurants - dinner is better than lunch - but I am not sure how to quantify how much better (especially since I tend to eat at perhaps a couple of 3 star Michelin restaurants a year). For example - the 340 euro dinner menu at Arpege would have to be I don't know how much better than the 130 euro lunch menu for me to think I had gotten my money's worth.

FWIW - in terms of searching - I am using both the Michelin guide - and Zagat's (Michelin has the lunch and dinner menu prices and then I go to Zagat's for some "chatty" information).

Also - as a practical matter - in a lot of Europe - people do eat their big meal at lunch. So it is not as if you would be doing anything unusual by having a lunch celebration. Robyn

I second the idea of lunch.  I know I've been told by various people that in a lot of restaurants - dinner is better than lunch - but I am not sure how to quantify how much better (especially since I tend to eat at perhaps a couple of 3 star Michelin restaurants a year).  For example - the 340 euro dinner menu at Arpege would have to be I don't know how much better than the 130 euro lunch menu for me to think I had gotten my money's worth.

FWIW - in terms of searching - I am using both the Michelin guide - and Zagat's (Michelin has the lunch and dinner menu prices and then I go to Zagat's for some "chatty" information).

Also - as a practical matter - in a lot of Europe - people do eat their big meal at lunch.  So it is not as if you would be doing anything unusual by having a lunch celebration.  Robyn

Oh I would totally love to have a great lunch, but I'm afraid it's not really an option unless we take (half) a day off, which may not be possible.

Maybe that's something I'll try to consider, though.

By the way, I reckon there are no lunch menu at l'Ambroisie?