• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

California Cab Classification

GordonCooks

I think once you implement a logical and reasonable cutoff, you would find your first growths to be the following. Based on price paid of course;

Mondavi Reserve

Ridge Monte Bello

Phelp's Insignia

Opus One

Beringer Reserve (various bottlings)

Dominus

Steve - good list. Just like to add the Shafer Hillside Select.

Opus One would be questionable with me - I have found it uneven over the years.

I would have put Mayacamus on the list, but quality has been uneven in the last 10 years or so. However in the 60's and 70's they were arguably the best.

However, their are other varieties in California that perform better than CS - namely Zinfandel and Syrah.

Except for some small select "terroir" areas in Carneros, I think Oregon (some Washington) is better for Pinot Noir.

Long Island has done a remarkable job with Cabernet Franc recently and that grape may become the area's red grape savior.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I think that categorizing by type would help someone compare apples to apples(akin to terroir)

How's about

Prem Cru -

Artisanal - under 500 cases annually e.g. Scr-Eagle, Colgin, Bryant, David Arthur

Winemaker's Reserve - e.g. Beringer, BV Latour, Caymus Spec Sel

Bordeaux Style/Meritage - e.g. Opus, Dominus, BV Tapestry, Phelps Insignia, MV Profile, Pahlmeyer

Cabernet- e.g. Harlan, Lokoya, Shafer

Then Grand Cru being pretty much the same category-

It just occurred to me, there should be one more wine added to the "first growth" list - Dunn, Howell Mountain.

I haven't had this in about five years and I completely forgot about it.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

In true eGullet form (see prev threads ref: subjective taste ) here is the correct list.

Prem Cru -

Artisanal - under 500 cases annually e.g.

Araujo

Bryant

Colgin

Grace

Screaming Eagle

--

Winemaker's Reserve -

Beringer Private Rsv

BV Georges Latour

Caymus Special Select

--

Bordeaux Style/Meritage -

BV Tapestry

Dalla Valle Maya

Dominus

Mayacamas

MerryVale Profile

Neibaum-Coppola Rubicon

Opus

Pahlmeyer

Phelps Insignia

--

Cabernet- e.g.

Chateau Montelena

Diamond Creek

Dunn

Groth

Harlan

Heitz

Jordan

Kenwood

Lokoya

Pride

Ridge

Shafer

Silver Oak

Staglin

Stag's Leap

Very good GC - now copyright the list and sell it to the Calfornia Winemakers Association.

Hell, the Times will probably do a story on it next Wednesday.

Rich Schulhoff

In true eGullet form (see prev threads ref: subjective taste ) here is the correct list.

Prem Cru -

Artisanal - under 500 cases annually e.g.

Araujo

Bryant

Colgin

Grace

Screaming Eagle

--

Winemaker's Reserve -

Beringer Private Rsv

BV Georges Latour

Caymus Special Select

--

Bordeaux Style/Meritage -

BV Tapestry

Dalla Valle Maya

Dominus

Mayacamas

MerryVale Profile

Neibaum-Coppola Rubicon

Opus

Pahlmeyer

Phelps Insignia

--

Cabernet- e.g.

Chateau Montelena

Diamond Creek

Dunn

Groth

Harlan

Heitz

Jordan

Kenwood

Lokoya

Pride

Ridge

Shafer

Silver Oak

Staglin

Stag's Leap

I'll take case futures on all of them.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

I have no argument over any of the California wines submitted for special status recognition thus far. However I am surprised that none of the names submitted(unless I missed it) included Viader. In my opinion it is one of California's finest. It has always received high ratings from both Parker and Wine Spectator. It is a meritage usually made from depending on the vintage a varying combination of Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc.

I have heard it described as being reminiscent of Bordeaux's Cheval Blanc.

Porkpa.

Gordon, I like the list, but it is far too extensive. The point is to narrow down CA to a "top 5" type first growth tier. Please correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe the criteria that should be applied under 1855 standards is only price and availability of the prestige wine of the house.

Gordon,  I like the list, but it is far too extensive.  The point is to narrow down CA to a "top 5" type first growth tier.  Please correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe the criteria that should be applied under 1855 standards is only price and availability of the prestige wine of the house.

This one's a powderkeg -

My top 5 would be very biased towards my personal palate -

Bryant

Dalla Valle Maya

Harlan

Caymus

Lokoya or Phelps - I can't decide

I shall now duck under my desk

What is the best WIDELY AVAILABLE cabernet or cab blend from California?

My offer would be Phelps Insignia, only because it is just a little more widely available than Ridge Monte Bello.

I think that GC's list is well designed.

I agree with the Phelps - I could go to a local wine store and pull one off the shelf along with a Viader, BV Latour, Hess Select, or Simi