• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caffe NaVona - Newest Italian Masterpeice?

DannyD

I saw the other day an add in the Daily Record for Caffe Navona in Rockaway, where they described themselves as "Morris County's Newest Italian Masterpeice".

I've eaten there perhaps a dozen times in the past 5 or so years and have viewed the restaurant as just ok. A nice enough building, but frankly I've found the food to be very ordinary, a bit overpriced and the vibe not great if your not one of the "regulars" that the overly condescending owner is rubbing elbows with.

Now don't get me wrong I guess enough people like the place, but I guess it just rubbed me the wrong way that they describe the place in such grandiose terms.

This is my first post and I apologize for it being a negative one....but please let me know if It's just me missing the boat here.

DannyD

I believe Navona changed chefs last year when Claudio moved down to Fairfield to open Aria on Fairfield Road (opposite the Levitz on Route 46). For that reason, it could be unwise to rely heavily on older recollections

Aria's a pleasant place, BYO, reasonable prices. It's been discussed here fromt ime to time.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

:rolleyes:Dannyd,

Just wanted to reply to your post about Caffe NaVona. You stated that you had eaten there maybe a dozen times. That might just qualify you as a "regular" I am in basic agreement with your overall assessement, however, with a few personal perspectives. Food: The food is better than ordinary but not very exciting. The owner(s) can indeed appear to be "overly (somewhat) condesending" from an exclusionary perspective toward non regular guest. My perspective is that all regulars are not treated as equals either. Thats life! One might suggest that business acumem is the opportunity.

Now on a more positive note. You and I agree that it is a good building. More specifically, it has a great bar with unfulfilled potential. It has booths for privacy, nooks for casual dining, and eloquent dining in the depth of the resturant and a sparingly used patio. Did I say unfulfilled potential?

Having said all of the above I must state that I am a descerning "regular"

Food:  The food is better than ordinary but not very exciting.  

Now on a more positive note.  You and I agree that it is a good building.  More specifically, it has a great bar with unfulfilled potential.

Time to weigh in. I too might be considered a regular. I think JoeB. is dead on. The food is for the most part dull but better than ordinary and Navonna does have a beautiful bar. As suggested not nearly living up to it's potential.

First the food. Good ingredients, inconsistent preparation depending on who's in the kitchen but unexciting and almost never taking advantage of seasonal product available. Specials are offered every day but for the most part are minor twists on similar dishes at the restaurant. No risk taking here. All that said, Navonna is a place to have in your rotation. You probably will rarely be disapointed or wowed. In regard to pricing, a bit higher than other 2 - 2 1/2 star kind of places. Most fish dishes $25 area. But considering the lovely venue and Piano Bar Wed. - Saturday, not a bad bargain. A place to go to spend the evening, you will never be rushed.

Now the bar. Friendly, fairly priced, great drinks. The only thing missing is some sort of munchie offering and perhaps a more casual bar appy menu.

An earlier post suggested that Claudio Beltrami left Navonna about a year ago to open Aria in Fairfield. Claudio was across the road at Maggiorino, not Navonna.

An earlier post suggested that Claudio Beltrami left Navonna about a year ago to open Aria in Fairfield.  Claudio was across the road at Maggiorino, not Navonna.

Sorry about that.

I thought he was in Navonna. Has Navonna had the same staff in the kitchen for the last few years?

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo