• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fine Chocolates by Wybauw

Lior

Tammy, do you mind adapting this to a recipe-even a simple one- for me? I never get it unless I see real examples- original recipe and then adapted one!!! I am fine in all subjects-really!! Just math!!! :raz:  :wink:

Thank you for asking that question, Lior. I also need concrete examples when I work with math.

And thank you Tammy for sharing your great ideas.

Tammy, do you mind adapting this to a recipe-even a simple one- for me? I never get it unless I see real examples- original recipe and then adapted one!!! I am fine in all subjects-really!! Just math!!! :raz:  :wink:

I think that all she’s saying is you can use the percentages of the original recipe to make any quantity. For example, say you want to end up with 500g of ganache.

Cream.....= 500 x 31% = 500 x 0.31 = 155g

Chocolate.= 500 x 63% = 500 x 0.63 = 315g

Glucose...= 500 x 6% = 500 x 0.06 = 30g

Total.....=........................= 500g

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Oh, this would have been a lot clearer if the spaces I'd put in there to separate out the columns had actually stayed. Doh!

John's example is clearer than mine, and yes, that's the idea - using the percentages.

But by putting it all into a spreadsheet, you just have to plug in the finished ganache amount, and it will automatically calculate the amounts of the ingredients, which comes in really hand for me.

If anyone wants a sample spreadsheet mailed to them, feel free to PM me with your email address, and I'll send it along, so you can see how it's set up.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Thanks to all of you for the help. :smile: I am going to print out the posts and hand them to my genius DH and he can help me to understand the stuff.

However..........I will never go blindly into a recipe again.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.