• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Savory scones

kiliki

Can anyone pass along a great recipe for a savory scone--maybe some kind of cheese and herb (I'd love to have the recipe for Dahlia Bakery's Sweet Potato Parmesan scone, if anyone has anything close to that)? The couple recipes I've tried have been leaden--nothing like the super light, crumbly Dahlia scone--and I don't want to keep trying random, bad recipes.

Do you have access to Cook's Illustrated? In the last month, I've made hundreds of blueberry scones for my job. The recipe has a cheese/herb variation thats excellent too. The scones are a bit labor intensive, but really fabulous.

Let me know if you can't access CI, I can PM you the recipe.

Hello everyone, I have been absent from E gullet for far too long due to the pressure of other things. I must make my re-entry here.

Here in the Antipodes we consider ourselves the scone-supremos of the World. Maybe the Universe.

I was shocked, however, to find the following recipes in a 1930's-ish Aussie Cookbook (which has about 40 different scone recipes).

You asked for savory scones. I dare you to try these:

Bloater Scones.

½ lb self-raising flour

1 oz. butter

1 egg

lemon juice to taste

2 oz. bloater paste

salt and cayenne

1 gill milk

Sift flour, salt, and cayenne. Rub in butter and bloater paste. Add egg and milk and lemon juice, and make into a soft dough. Knead slightly. Roll out ½ inch thick. Cut into small rounds 1 inch in diameter. Glaze and bake in a quick oven eight to ten minutes.

Filling: 1 dessertspoon bloater paste and one dessertspoon whipped cream, blended together and flavoured with cayenne, lemon juice, and salt.

Curry and Egg Scones.

½ lb. self-raising flour

1 oz. butter

1 dessertspoon curry powder

pinch salt

1 hard-boiled egg

1 gill milk.

Sift flour, curry powder and salt into a basin. Rub in butter and add egg chopped finely and milk. Make into a dough, roll out, cut into rounds, brush over with milk and bake about ten minutes.

Leaden scones come from over-handling, usually. The less the better.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

Bloater paste??? What IS it?

Cali: Thanks for the heads up. I get CI so I''ll check out that recipe--I'm assuming it was recent? I'll look in Baking Illustrated, too.

Cathryn: I've always liked Ina's recipes so I'll bet hers are good.

Thanks!!

Cali: Thanks for the heads up. I get CI so I''ll check out that recipe--I'm assuming it was recent? I'll look in Baking Illustrated, too.

Cathryn: I've always liked Ina's recipes so I'll bet hers are good.

Thanks!!

I believe it was July/August 2007 but the cheese/herb variation is discussed on the CI message board.

Bloaters are a type of herring.

Herring flavoured scones: with herring flavoured cream.

I dont think I am unadventurous, but I dont think I would like them.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday