• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fascinating Chocolate Demo

schneich

back from europain, with some impressions:

check out the chocolate decoration demo, it was a chinese booth with a chinese chef who had some incredible tricks :-) after watching him for quite some time i am sure that his chocolate has some oil in it to make it smoother...

cheers

t.

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany

Just lovely! How did he keep those points and manage totake off the umwanted parts-at the end?! And Iassume the reason for putting the "plastic foil" on the closing of the bars is for shininess? Have you tried this? I guess you could do the same for all moulds. I love this stuff!! Thank you so much!

awesome video. Thanks for taking the time to make it and post it. The Chinese chef in that last sequence certainly seemed to be making the chocolate do whatever he wants - that flower at the end was just incredible

Lior - you can also put transfer sheets on the bottom of your chocolates using that technique. Makes them pricier to sell but is pretty much standard at competition level from what I hear

Oh now why didn't I know that?! Thanks! Do people turn them over and look? I must try this!

People do notice - maybe moreso on the larger moulded items. But it does add to the cost of your piece.

Yes I see it adds and is also time consuming a bit I suppose. But it seems like a must try! Any tips? I imagine it is done like the bars on the video!

Yep, just like the video. Back your mould off as normal - it needs to be scraped very clean. When the chocolate has set, put a line of chocolate along one of the edges of the mould and use it to stick the transfer sheet down on one end. Then grip the transfer sheet with your fingers and just scrape across the mould. Try and do it in one go - you don't want to go back and forth across the transfer sheet because you will disrupt the pattern.

hi,

i think it really was a great show, especially patisserie wise. there was not much serious chocolate stuff going on. valrohna had a nice new bonbon mold which can be parsonalized. wolfberger had some really cool new liquers (we were drunk when we left the booth) which was chocolate, violet and rose. sosa had a whole lot of really great new products, like chunks of dried fruitpowders, a stabilizer called gelcrem which gives anything you want the texture of creme pat and a product called "pro gianduja" which lets you create ganachelike textures with 0% water activity (great for enclosing crunchy elements without having them to get soggy)

you can find the video also under my youtube profilename:

schneichs youtube profile

cheers

t.

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany

valrohna had a nice new bonbon mold which can be parsonalized.

... a product called "pro gianduja" which lets you create ganachelike textures with 0% water activity (great for enclosing crunchy elements without having them to get soggy)

Great stuff!

How does the bonbon mold work? Where can I learn more about the "pro gianduja" (in English)?

Just saw the video and just for any non-mandarin speaking friends here who might be interested, a fellow chinese guy asked the chef what temperature his marble slab was at, and the chef said he keeps it at 22 to 25 degrees celsius.

Furthermore, he added that in colder months, he warms it up and in warmer months, he uses the air-conditioning to cool things down. His chocolate goes on at around 32 to 33 degrees celsius.

Hope that info was helpful to anyone curious about that.

we tried it out yesterday and iam certain that this guy uses 5 - 10 % oil in the chocolate. when we tried without, the chocolate got way too fragile and crumbly.

cheers

t.

Yeah, had to be too good to be true.

• 2 months later...
Wow. I'm late to the party viewing the video, but... wow. That guy was amazing. He made it all look so effortless!

Thanks so much for sharing this. How fun that must have been!

Diane

AwholeLottaChocolate

• Similar Content

• By KTM
      Hello friends,

We recently got our selmi plus ex and have had a handful of successful runs. So far mostly with our enrobing line. 

Theres been 2 occasions now that I have noticed when tempering the machine is cooling past the target temp. When it does this it goes down into the 28c range and the screw pump has to shut off due to the temp and viscosity. 

I also noticed the manual is pretty light on operational procedures. 

The 2 things I can think of that might be causing this other then an equipment error is 
      the chocolate used is to thick or there is a build up of chocolate around the temperature probe near the faucet. 

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue before. 
    • By ShylahSinger
      Hello! I'm fairly new to this site so I don't know if my search was weak. I'm trying to find a way to make Mandarin orange puree at home, but I couldn't find anything even similar in the forum. I am a home cook, but I have been making chocolate bonbons and other confections for over 4 years (intermitantly). It is too expensive for me to purchase this online- not because of the price of the puree, but the cost of shipping makes it prohibative. The recipes I've seen online are all differant and don't seem to be what I need. 
      I would love any help with this! I look forward to hearing and learning from those who have much, much more experience than me. Thanks!
    • By Darienne
      A quite unusual take on the favorite American chocolate bar: click
    • By ShylahSinger
      Help! I am an amateur and make chocolate truffles, bonbons, and caramels for friends and family. I made some soft caramel for filling molded bonbons. The flavor and consistency are fine, but the caramel is filled with bubbles. I don't know how to get the air bubbles out, and am concerned using it in my molded chocolates. I would like to know if it is okay to use. I have been making confections for about four years and this is the first time this has happened. I would really appreciate any help! I'm new to the forum and don't know anyone yet.
    • By rookie
      I am making molded bunnies for Easter and I am finding that the
      necks are cracking and the head breaks away from the body. I have noticed that the neck is not as thick as the rest of the bunny. Total grams for this bunny is 200.
      Does anyone have any suggestions on how to rectify this? Oh yeah I didn't mention that after pouring into molds I place in the refridgerator.
      Any suggestions are welcome!
      Cheers
      Mary - Rookie